Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen and harddrive help

• Please log in to reply

LuisJunior

LuisJunior

• Pip
  • 7 posts
window shows this blue screen of death which says psychical memory dump...after when it finishes it restarts.....i took out the harddrive and put in my other harddrive which allowed me to enter with no problems....i changed my orginal harddrive to slave so i would be able to access files because i want to transfer my music, videos pictures onto my new external harddrive but i just cant find my documents!......theres no documents and settings n it appears that the harddrive im trying to take the files from seems to be a 111 gig harddrive wheres as its really meant to be a 120gig....someone please help me iv tried searching the harddrive from one of my songs n it cant find it :whistling:.........btw im defraging the hardrive i wanna get files from......some one please help me

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Run Scandisk on it.
It may well be that the hard drive is dying and has failed to a point where it may not be possible to get anything off it.

LuisJunior

LuisJunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
how do you scandisk???

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go into My Computer, right-click on the drive -> Properties -> Tools.

LuisJunior

LuisJunior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i did it and it finished complete............i still see that my orginal harddrive is used up by something and im sure it would be my music videos etc....but i just cant find it iv even searched it! help me plEASE!!!!!
BTW NOW MY HARDDRIVE SAYS ITS TOTAL SIZE IS 9.30gigs and free space is 7.60....where as its really 120 GIG!!!! HELP ME N WHATS USING UP THE SPACE IM GUESSING MY MUSIC

Edited by LuisJunior, 09 September 2007 - 05:14 PM.

dnrflorence

dnrflorence

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
After doing the math (111gb + 9gb=120gb) it sounds like you have two partitions. Is there more than one partition on the drive?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you can try to gain a little space

start/control panel/system/system restore/uncheck system restore setting/move slider to about 3%

if you can dowload and run this

http://www.stevengou...o...29&Itemid=1

go to my computer/right click/select properties/put check in compress drive to save disk space/click ok/this can be a long process/

then defragment your computer

and check into a second partition
who knows you maybe just using a small partition and not c:drive

Edited by Mr Freeze, 13 September 2007 - 11:44 AM.