Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A╗┐UèV@=!¤└é Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

tinapaige

tinapaige

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone.

When I turn on my computer, I see the DELL screen and then a black screen with a prompt that looks something like this: A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└_

When I try to type something on the keyboard, it just repeats:
A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐
UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV
@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└A╗┐UèV@=!!¤é└

As you can see, this is very scary! Does anyone know what this means? I cannot get my computer to load Windows even in Safe Mode (although any other suggestions as to how
to do that would be great), but if I set my computer to boot from a CD it will. I am really anxious to know how to fix this problem, and I really do not want to lose everything! Is this a virus?
Please let me know what to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please enter the BIOS by pressing repeatedly, upon startup, the Delete, or F2, or F1 or whatever key is required to take you to setup. When you enter there, can you read what's written in the menus or does it show garbled?

tinapaige

tinapaige

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I can read what's written in the BIOS menu. Where do I go from here?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks like there is something wrong with the video driver. Please start, pressing F8 repeatedly. A menu of different boot options will show up. Try to boot into "enable VGA mode". If successful back up your data as a first step. Look in Dell support for a suitable driver, download it on another computer, burn to a cd or flash ram and install in your computer.

If this doesn't work then you may have to perform a recovery using Dell's recovery cd. Please write down the model of your computer.