Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Update Windows without Genuine

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I do have a legitimate copy of windows, as it came with my computer and I have the disc and key. I reformat once in a while to keep the system fresh, and of course this involves updating windows again. Is there a way you can update windows, choose all the updates you want, without that Genuine Windows program?

I tried going through the Windows Update website before at the darn thing snuck onto my computer and I started having major issues after that. I would like to update, without having to have genuine on my pc.

Thanks

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You can install Critical Updates only. Anything else like Service Packs will need genuine installed.

Murray

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
so how do I get these updates? Every time I go on the windows update site it says I have to install WGA first.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you have Auto Update enabled?

If so, you can pick and choose which updates. As long as they are driver or info updates, then you can download them. If they are Critical Updates or Service Packs, then you are out of luck.

Murray

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ok, thank you very much.