Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

@ start, BLUE SCREEN 4 ever, nothing else?

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I swear, since the trojan.W32.looksky, nothing has gotting back to the way we were.

5 days good, now when I shut my pc down, when I turn it back on, BLUE SCREEN, & nothing else.

The one way I found that I can get my bar across the bottom & desktop icons, is to CTRL,ALT,DELETE then I click on the performance tab, and stuff appears.

This is what is read; CPU 1% usuall, does get to 12%, PF 182 mb
TOTAL -
Handles 9112
Threads 358
Process 32

Physical mem (K)
Tot est. 523761
Avail. est 312412
Sys. Cach est. 199248

Commit Charge (K)
Total est 186600
Lim. est 1280240
Peak 187452

Kenal Mem (K)
Total est 46748
Paged 23588
Nonpage 23140

I think it's got to be something in the startup, but I'm so uncertain. I just know that it's a pain in the buns to have to reload xp os everyday, thinking theres going to be a fix.

TY again,
penelopepony

Advertisements

dr.huynh

dr.huynh

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Try this...

Get a working, stable Windows XP-installed computer.

Assuming that your hard drive is an IDE type, take your hard drive, set the jumpers to the appropriate setting (typically SLAVE), and connect it to the working, stable computer.

When you boot up the working Windows XP-installed computer, it'll detect your problematic hard drive. Note: your hard drive will not be listed as the default C: drive. Go to My Computer or Windows Explorer and determine what the new drive letter is.

Now, follow the directions at this Geekstogo forum post...

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Now, here's the somewhat tricky part. If you've been able to follow me through this far, then you shouldn't have a problem with the next set of advice.

What you'll need to do is set the parameters for each antivirus/antispyware/antimalware to scan your problematic drive.

For example, if your problematic hard drive is now detected as an E: drive letter on the working, stable computer, then left-check the box for the E: drive in the SUPERAntispyware program.

You don't necessarily have to set the programs to scan C: drive since, presumably, the working computer system should have a clean C: drive.

Once that's done, all should be well. Take your hard drive out of this donor computer system and replace it back into your computer. Boot up and good luck!

penelopepony

penelopepony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Thank you,

Sounds like a great excuse I can add to WHY I want a 2nd computer, however, since I'm the pc person of this house, I don't have to make one, I just have to get past getting the potential house buyer showing serious intention, $$$ (Down payment time!!!), because if I make another house payment out of my pocket, I'm refreshing my ads on Craigslist, etc... he's a friend of my husbands, but this friendship is beginning to interfer w/my pc wants.

My son built this pc, and I've done add on's, so taking the hard drive out is no problem, and I understand the jumpers, had to set them for this HD a couple of months ago when it was new. Back then I kind of wanted to keep my old 8mb hardrive as a back up, but my IDE ribbon is a single plug, and I live 40 miles from any place that could fit my needs, other than Ebay (Post office is only 1/2 as close), so I settled for just the one HD.

My son also has the same LAVASOFT anti spyware I do, and living in town, he's got his pc set up for speed, so basically he could do it while I run to Wal-Mart (Heck, given a fix, and a destructive virus can be defeated in the time it takes to get in & out of that store.).

TY
penelopepony