Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I install this memory to my Laptop (links included)

• Please log in to reply

thejushinator

thejushinator

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello i just baught a Acer Aspire 3680-2682.
http://www.compusa.c...amp;pfp=hpf1#ts

I am wanting to upgrade the memory from 512mb to 1.5gig. Here is the memory I am looking at:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820208300

My question is:
1. Do I have to "match" the memory. I am asking I can keep my current 512mb of memory and just plug the 1GB of memory in the other slot and the computer will recognize it.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

According to Crucial's memory advisor, your laptop should have 2 slots (one containing the 512MB module & one empty). The laptop can support upto 2GB in total (1GB per slot).
You should be able to simply install a 1GB module to give you a total of 1.5GB, however you won't be able to take advantage of dual channel mode as the 2 modules need to be matching for that. Also, the closer the 2 modules are in terms of specs, the more chance they have of being fully compatible.

If you want my advise, it's this - buy the 1GB stick from Crucial. To start with, Crucial guarantee that the stick will be 100% compatible with your system & secondly, they offer a lifetime warranty on all the modules. Crucial may be a bit more expensive but it's never worth using cheap memory just to try & save a few bucks.