Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nero Burning Problem

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hello again Geeks!

It's been some time but I've once again hit a problem that I can't figure out. I'm trying to burn a file roughly 700MB in size onto a DVD (which holds 4.7GB). So I would think that it would be no problem to do.

However everytime I go into Nero, start the process, it transcodes fine, creates my menus, everything. But right at the end it says that it can't fit the compilation onto this disc, please insert another disk. This happened 3 or 4 times with different DVD's when I realized they were all memorex and I've used Imation/Sony my whole life. So I went out and bought some Imation DVD's. Then when I tried to burn it, I got the same message that it couldn't fit the project on the inserted disc.

I've turned on and off overburn, changed the quality, yet it either doesn't burn the whole thing, or it just says, "Can't fit!" What could be the problem?

Thanks!

Advertisements

scguy318

scguy318

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
You sure you're not picking a strange compilation type like Video CD? And is this a data file, or something video-related?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure. I open up Nero StartSmart, choose DVD from the drop down menu at the top, and then click Make Your Own DVD-Video which is what I've always done. Then I put a simple menu graphic and button as well as the 700MB video file.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
odd. what version of nero and have you checked their website for any updates?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I couldn't figure out where to find what version I have but I am currently downloading and will install the "Nero 7 Premium Reloaded Update" and will edit/post when that's installed and I have attempted another burn.

The worst part of this whole thing is waiting the 2 hours it takes to "recode and create menus" only to find out it won't burn in the end :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Was it only this file?

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
No I've tried 2 or 3 files of equal size, and in different formats as well.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This programme watermarks the output as a trial, so use re-writable discs if possible

Set it so that it converts without writing to a disc until you want it to, then you can look at the folder to check the size

Add the file, click convert, and note the bit rate, Nero has a maximum of 8000

It is an 8MB file

http://www.vso-softw...nvert_x_to_dvd/

Another option would be to use Super Encoder which has more options for bit rate, and you could use Nero to burn that after you check it is less than 4.38GB

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

If either of the above produces a file which fits to disc then it would likely be Nero, and as you are re-installing, the file may work now :whistling:

Nero has an automatic fit to disc, and a write to folder option

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I won't post the whole thing because it's really long but now it no longer tells me that it can't fit it on a dvd, but that there is an error and it can not burn.

It then gives me the option to save a log file (which I have for the 2 times it happened). I will paste the part that really stood out to me:
[17:24:54] NeroVision 5:23:03 PM #24 CDR -1046 File Writer.cpp, Line 303
[17:24:54] NeroVision Illegal disc
[17:24:54] NeroVision E: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S
[17:24:54] NeroVision
[17:24:54] NeroVision 5:24:50 PM #25 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 3783
[17:24:54] NeroVision EndDAO: Last written address was -1 (FFFFFFFFh)
[17:24:54] NeroVision
[17:24:54] NeroVision 5:24:50 PM #26 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 285
[17:24:54] NeroVision Burn process failed at 4x (5,540 KB/s)

That one line that says Illegal Disc stood out to me. I'm not sure what it means...I'm just...burning it to a DVD, not sure if that's significant or not?
Any ideas/suggestions?

Keith - I'm a little confused as to what you exactly are having me do in your last post.

Edited by BlackPandemic, 11 September 2007 - 01:51 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Process of elimination

If convertx or Super produce a file which burns, it is Nero

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Okay new development in the burning problem. I tried burning something using PowerISO and the burning failed, and when I reattempted it gave me an error. So apparently it's not only Nero and I can't find a more updated driver for the burner, so I'm at ground zero again trying to figure this out!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
you can try http://cdrinfo.com/ and see if you can find a firmware update for your burner. If that doesn't work, then you may have a hw issue with the burner.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Well I went to that site, typed in the drive name (SOHW-1633S) and click Download Latest Driver (or whatever it said) which was released in January of '06 which I'm more than positive I already have. And when I clicked on the newest update it sent me here:
http://www.liteonit....3S/DR16BS0Y.zip

So I'm dreading it being an actual hardware problem as I can't really think of what might have brought on the problem and really can't afford a new one now that I'm at school!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you unzip the file and it is Up Fw BSOY X Flash, double click to run it, if the firmware is the same, it will say

If it is, click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Click the + next to DVD / CD ROM Drives, left click the drive to highlight, right click the drive, click remove / uninstall, confirm then reboot

The drive will be re-installed as Windows loads

Still worth trying the VSO ConvertX as it automatically adjusts the bit rate to suit the file size, and will show any errors with the file in the log

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Sorry to bump but I figured I'd update. I haven't had much time to do much of anything, and I leave for break this weekend but as soon as I get back I will try doing everything you've said Keith and get back to you!

Thanks for the help so far!

(I'm fearing it's a hardware issue now, no longer software)