Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

flamewolf393

flamewolf393

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've a a really large hard drive (130 GB) that i want to install, and currently have two hard drives installed, one of which has my windows. However, I cannot figure out which physical device has the windows on it. Also, when I try just unplugging one hard drive or the other, my computer will not boot up.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the drives are two different sizes, then go into My Computer and your Windows should be on the drive C. It'll tell you the capacity on the left. You can then shut down the computer (I do hope you weren't unplugging the drives while the computer was on?) and unplug the other drive.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
I suspect that in the BIOS if they are IDE drives that they are set to user mode, that is to say the drives C.H.S. are manually set. So when you change the drive it is looking for a pre-set drive. If changing drives or taken one out go into the bios Del, F1, F2 or whichever key to get into the Bios and set to Auto detect. Its usually top left.

In the picture they are all set to Auto

The drive which has the OS on should be on the drive which is on the primary IDE1 channel and set to master jumper on the hard drive.

See picture for jumper settings on IDE drives

http://freepctech.co...e_devices.shtml

http://www.helpwithp...-hard-drive.htm

Attached Thumbnails

• bios.JPG

Edited by peter99, 10 September 2007 - 09:26 AM.