Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help

• Please log in to reply

Lee_H

Lee_H

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, first off sorry about the non tech things i'm about to say(like "stuff" and "that thing")i'm useless with computers. I'm in the uk and i have Windows 98

I got a spyware virus(and still have it, but i'm going to try HijackThis v2 in the morning)

I'm on BTYahoo and use there browser but when i click to be connected to the net all i get is

"BTyahoo broadband unable to connect to the server. please check connection before trying again"

I then try the HUB manager but get this

"We were unable to connect to your hub would you like to launch broadband desktop help"

but then as its loading i get "This has performed an illegal operation and will shut down"

I was then told to download Firefox from here http://www.mozilla-e...ducts/firefox/

But just get this

Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at en-gb.start2.mozilla.com.

* Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I've had a look to see if there's any wires out or something but there fine and all the lights on the hub are on.

I'm thinking maybe i've deleted something(on another pop up it told be my disc drive is full so i tried deleting some files) and i should delete all the BT stuff and start the hub again like when i first connected it.

the strange thing is i can still connect to the net using Internet Explorer(thats what i'm on now)

I'll be very thankful for any help

Advertisements

scguy318

scguy318

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Post the output of ipconfig /all please.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Lee H.,

Since you think you're infected, I would definitely download hijackthis and start a thread in the malware forum. Often viruses and spyware can interfere with your network connection, so it's important that you get this cleared up. At that point, you may find your internet connection working again; if not, then we'll help you straighten it out, but your machine needs to be clean first.

Make sure you start here - you'll find the instructions for downloading Hijackthis and starting a new thread in the malware forum.

Lee_H

Lee_H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Lee H.,

Since you think you're infected, I would definitely download hijackthis and start a thread in the malware forum. Often viruses and spyware can interfere with your network connection, so it's important that you get this cleared up. At that point, you may find your internet connection working again; if not, then we'll help you straighten it out, but your machine needs to be clean first.

Make sure you start here - you'll find the instructions for downloading Hijackthis and starting a new thread in the malware forum.

Yeah i'll do that.

On the ipconfig /all

I had no idea what that was so asked someone and they told me to

Its a commend line used in ''RUN''. Go to ''RUN'' and type in 'cmd' after that loads up type in ''ipconfig/all''

The either copy and paste that screen or instead of typing in ''ipconfig/all'' type in ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt it should save as a txt file

I treid that and all i got was "Cannot find the file "cmd"(or one of its compononets) make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available"

whe i try launching BTYAHOO or my desktop short cut for google i get

`C:/WINDOWS/Profiles/my sign in name/Desktop/Google.url

i've also had a pops up with

System Error, Access Violation at Address (then lots of numbers which i'm not sure if it safe to post here)

cheers for your help guys, i'm really starting to stress out on this
""

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Lee_H,

The ipconfig command is not for Windows 98 - the command to be used is winipcfg. However, I would like you to post in the Malware forum, as originally asked, before continuing your thread here.

Thanks,

sari

Lee_H

Lee_H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Looking at the hijackthis page you just sent me to, i have no idea how i'm going to get through all that :whistling:

Lee_H

Lee_H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Lee_H,

The ipconfig command is not for Windows 98 - the command to be used is winipcfg. However, I would like you to post in the Malware forum, as originally asked, before continuing your thread here.

Thanks,

sari

I tried that and something called IP Configuration came up. I have no idea how to C&P that but i can write it down. Is it safe to put your IP address on a forum?

Lee_H

Lee_H

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Do i have to follow all 5 steps? because step one says "AVG Anti-Spyware (for Windows 2000 and XP ONLY)"

EDIT: :whistling: i read it properly this time lol just the 5th one that SAYS HIJACKTHIS

Edited by Lee_H, 10 September 2007 - 11:13 AM.