Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
As a long-time "self-fixer" of any problems with XP, I have never used System Restore and probably never will. I've managed to fix it another way.

My question is this: Is it worth turning it off? Would there be any benefits with it off?

I'm guessing you would save a little hard drive space, plus a slight (not noticeable) performance gain. Plus it would be one area less for malware to infect.

Obviously the average computer user should leave it on. Just wondering what some thoughts are on this issue?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My question is this: Is it worth turning it off? Would there be any benefits with it off?

i've got a corporate policy to turn system restore off on all machines....that way you can't restore a virus back onto your system later....

i've seen advantages and disadvantages to this policy

the advantage....well if something get's infected or corrupted...i don't reintroduce that into my domain with a restore

disadvantages....when a windows update or software change completely hoses a system....i've got to format/reinstall instead of just restore (but to be honest...i'd probably go that route anyway....never been a big fan of system restore)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
For an experienced computer user, System Restore is just a convenience. If your computer doesn't like an update or you bork a system file, System Restore is a quick fix. Used incorrectly, like the monkey said, it can reintroduce a virus. SR is often accused of "not working" because it will indicate that "no changes have been made to your computer", but SR only monitors certain key system files and extensions. If there is nothing to "restore", it won't, and it does absolutely nothing to data files. This is good because you can restore to a week ago and not lose your current work, but it will not help you get back your email or deleted item.

Frankly, it doesn't hurt to leave it running, just in case, but, as always, prevention is a better "cure" for malware.
Johanna
(we want more baby pics!)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The amount of hard drive space allocated to system restore can be reduced, and disc clean up, more options, clean up restore points removes all but the most recent restore point

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

disadvantages....when a windows update or software change completely hoses a system....i've got to format/reinstall instead of just restore (but to be honest...i'd probably go that route anyway....never been a big fan of system restore)

I personally would go that way, it's all I've ever done. I've never liked the idea of it, I'm thinking I'd be like "Okay, so where in time did my computer go..." I mean, I know the date and time is there, but what was I doing back then? Nah stuff it, format, I love doing that!

or you bork a system file

Could you define "bork" for me? :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
familiar with the term FUBAR? or SNAFU?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:whistling: I didn't want to know...

*FPVDriF6 looked them up in Wikipedia...

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

familiar with the term FUBAR? or SNAFU?

That's so [bleep] familiar, but I just can't recall what is it. :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:whistling: Watch your language! Freshman are held accountable to higher standards, make sure there's no bleeps in your posts...

As I've mentioned, the answers are in Wikipedia.