Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Networking

• Please log in to reply

LiT

LiT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[b]Hello, atm i have modem to wireless router then wireless router wired to switch with 40m ethernet then from the switch 6 wired computers and an xbox 360 and nintendo wii i want to know would it be possible to connect a router to the switch and then have all the compouters and xbox and wii working from the wireless in the router? Thanks in advanced :whistling:

Edited by LiT, 09 September 2007 - 08:59 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm going to assume that the wii and xbox are too far away from the first wireless router?

id suggest getting a wireless access point instead of a router.....a router will give you a different ip subnet which could make networking more funky...however a wireless access point will not give you a different subnet...it's basically just like a switch (i.e. doesn't route...just gives you a connection to an existing network) but wireless....

LiT

LiT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The wii and xbox and all the comps are to far away from the first router i wanted to know is it possible to connect wireless router to the switch then use that?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
.....well...i thought i answered that...but

if you're asking if you can plug your switch into the modem directly...then plug the router into the switch.....technically that MIGHT work....but i don't think it would work well