Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to Optimize Vid Card Performance

• Please log in to reply

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
ATI Radeon 9200 Celestica GOLD edition 128 MB

I bought this card off ebay about a year ago, mostly for the opportunity of higher end gaming. Sadly, I realized just a couple months later it was just losing its hold on minimum requirements for the most recent PC games.

Nevertheless, I use the PC for most multimedia purposes, but now mostly for watching movies using the RCA out component on the card. I've a RCA cable connecting the card to my home reciever, so the video comes up on my Television. Now, ive two questions.

1. Is there anyway to make the TV look more like the monitor? Game graphics and movies look fantastic on it, but you definately couldnt use it like a monitor, because the words are waaay too blurry, the screen is just generally hard to see.

and

2. I was told that 128mb isnt enough memory for a graphics card to watch a movie on the television and do anything else on the computer. I was wanting to put a movie on the TV and just use internet explorer at the same time, with nothing else running. Problem is, if you use the mouse, click a link, open the browser, ect., anything at all, it makes the movie skip horribly. If the memorys the problem, is there any possible way to overclock it or tweak it in anyway for just a minimal performance increase so browsing would be possible?

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Jackler, 09 September 2007 - 09:50 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 9200 is an old card now which, as you say, is barely listed as even the lowest spec requirement for the majority of games today.

1) Not really because normal TVs are not designed to be used as computer monitors. They end up squashing the text because there's too much to fit in the frame. All you can really do is blow the text up but that will of course throw all the icons and what not off so you'll be fitting much less on it than you are now for want of seeing anything.

2) This is more probably another program somewhere else, a background program, it doesn't really have anything to do with the amount of memory on the card. It may well be because your processor is too slow to keep up.