Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to scale properly, my new site, and CSS

• Please log in to reply

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
http://www.wowyoureugly.com/

Yea, Dreamweaver, maybe not the best but it gets the job done. This is my first site that I actually took with some serious effort on my part. With my intermediate knowledge of HTML and the like, what do you think? What could improve? Etc...

Now my friend has a 1024 x 768 resolution and he complains my site looks kind of funky and I should try using scales for lower resolution users. I'm not that familiar with scales and how do they work? On a table, if I put ___% instead of pixels, how does it know of what percentage? How can I tell it? What do I do really...

Also, another friend said if I want to make pages that use the same design but easily changeable thus saving time on designing (such as if I want to start on the about page and others) I should learn CSS. Well I went to w3schools and read a tad and it got REALLY confusing to me. Should I read something previous to that? Is there another site you guys might recommend for me to read up on it?

Also how is a good way of say adding borders and box around my news to make it look pretty instead of a blob of text?

Edited by Comrade General, 09 September 2007 - 11:52 PM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would correct these coding problems before trying to do any more: Coding Errors.

Ron

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Fixed them all except the attribute background ones. I don't get it, I assigned an image as a background. Simple as that.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Darn good. Just 8 nitpicking coding problems:

HTML Validator result
----------------------
http://www.wowyoureugly.com/

line 52 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
line 54 column 5 - Warning: <th> proprietary attribute "background"
line 57 column 5 - Warning: <td> proprietary attribute "background"
line 61 column 1 - Warning: <table> proprietary attribute "background"
line 61 column 1 - Warning: <table> lacks "summary" attribute
line 81 column 5 - Warning: <th> proprietary attribute "background"
line 84 column 5 - Warning: <th> proprietary attribute "background"
line 87 column 5 - Warning: <th> proprietary attribute "background"
Info: Doctype given is "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
Info: Document content looks like HTML Proprietary
0 errors / 8 warnings

Just throw in a summary="" attribute if you want for each table tag. Not a biggy except for accessibility requirements. The <td> backgrounds should be done like:
<th style="width: 1280px; height: 20px; background-image: url(TopTableTOP.png);" scope="col">&nbsp;</th>
. I would do each <th> tag this way as well as put in as inline styling for the other tags:
<table style="width:1280px; border: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0;" summary="">

Percentages depends where they are applied. They may be a percent of the browser window or percent of some block level element. Your page has a whopping horizontal bar because of your presently set widths. You may be using a larger monitor or a higher res or both.

The w3schools tutorials on CSS are good to use. Might try buying some books off Amazon.com. I get the really cheap ones and some arrive like new and only costs $6-7 plus shipping. It is really recommended to use CSS and get away from using tables to layout your page(s). Tables should be use for tabular data layout.

Where is your news going to be? Didn't see it.

Ron

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I thought CSS was used for pages like... If you want all pages to look similar. Like the about page, the contact page, and other pages. And like set certain properties permanently. Like if you want all links to be white, etc. How can they be used to replace tables?

And yes. I have a 19 inch monitor and 1280x1024, that's why I am interested in scaling for the 1024x768 peeps and such. Whooping scroll bar? Whomping or... what does whooping mean? :whistling:

And the news script is to the right of WEB RING. It's not going to be a news site if that's what you thought. Thanks for the coding little things, I'll fix them soon, probably tomorrow. Easy fixes I know, but I'm tired and have to study for test. Seriously been lacking on Spanish work.

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
Using percentages as widths would be pointless with that current header image. If you notice at the top of this forum, there's an image on the left, and a text area on the right, so if you minimize the browser window. Then change the width of the window, you'll notice it doesn't make a difference, whereas if you were to have yours at 100%, it would look good for me and you, and anyone else who uses 1280x1024. But for anyone using less or more, it will stretch/crop the image.

I suggest a fixed width page of 780px until you become more comfortable with CSS.

By the way, keep learning about CSS, I never understood it, but one day my friend was talking about it to me, and I just suddenly got it.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I'll keep 780px in mind. Right now I'm just focusing on trying to get this off it's feet but the advice is always welcomed for the future. CSS I will continue to learn, and I will get it... eventually. I know, but I'm very slow and it's like... I fight knowledge every step of the way. And now with 3 games I want to play all came within the same day.. ohh... it's like fate knocking me down and just laughing at me.

Now another question, how can I limit the next my news on my frontpage displays from my forums? See my long news post, kind of annoying but not ugly, just I'd like to know what do I put in the php code I put it to limit it? Also how can I design something that surrounds my news? Look at www.cncnz.com and see how all the news posts are covered my his little design? How can I do something similar?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can code for your news items like this:

<div style="border: 5px solid #007878; padding: 1%; width: 300px; height: 200px;">Put your news inside this div and anything else like an image, too.  Or you can add a background image to the div.</div>

Adjust div parameters to suit.

Ron

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Thank you, I will add it later tonight most likely. Do you know how to limit characters in news posts?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Do you know how to limit characters in news posts?

Posts as in entering text in a textarea, or as in posting in a forum or guestbook program you have installed?

Ron

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Do you know how to limit characters in news posts?

Posts as in entering text in a textarea, or as in posting in a forum or guestbook program you have installed?

Ron

www.wowyoureugly.com

The amount of text a news post (which is linked to the forums) is allowed to display on my front page.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I was just wanting to know what mechanism you were using or going to use to get news comments on your home page. Depending on what you are using, some setups allow admin options where you can set these limits.

Ron

Comrade General

Comrade General

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

I was just wanting to know what mechanism you were using or going to use to get news comments on your home page. Depending on what you are using, some setups allow admin options where you can set these limits.

Ron

Simple Machine Forums. I've looked already and I don't think it's build in, I think I just gotta put a little code snippit in the php code already there on the frontpage, not the forums.

Edited by Comrade General, 15 September 2007 - 12:35 AM.