Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unbootable Windows, any ideas.

• Please log in to reply

Logis

Logis

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Rightio, I think this should be the right section to be posting this topic in.

I have a Presario V4000 laptop that refuses to boot, it keeps bringing up the safe mode options yet none of them work and a BSOD screen appears very briefly (too briefly to read what it says, just a flash of blue in fact but I recognise that shade anywhere) then it restarts.

At first the DVDROM drive didn't work but I took it out and popped it back together and it seems to be working again most of the time.

I've whacked in a XP Home CD (Royalty OEM if that's important) in order to do a repair install but that option doesn't appear, just the one to reinstall grrr. So i've been on the recovery console which does detect the Windows installation but not enough to repair it using bootcfg, i've also tried fixboot and fixmbr just to be on the safe side. I've chkdsk it using /R /P and also scanned the hard drive for faults using a seperate piece of software.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive isn't faulty anyway just the Windows installation.

I'd rather not reinstall cause I don't wanna format the drive and lose the data as it's not mine, i've just been roped in to fix it lol. So I haven't a clue what they were doing previously that might have caused this fault.

Also as it's a laptop I can't take out the drive and stick it in a desktop or something to extract the data off the drive.

So far my only alternative is to try and reinstall over the top possibly losing user settings which I'd also rather not do unless I have no other choice but I'm out of ideas so any other offers on this one??

Cheers :-)

Advertisements

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Lol I assume this means that you lot haven't thought of any other ideas either :-P

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Not all of us spend every waking moment on our computers and not all of us come here every time we log on. No replies after six hours is not unusual.

Start the laptop as normal, keep pressing F8 and when the menu comes up there will be an option to "disable restart on system failure" or something to that effect. Highlight that one and press Enter. It should now blue-screen at you and therefore we should have a clue as to what to do next.

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
My mistake, I am new to the site and it seemed that other questions had been answered much sooner.

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay I have got the BSOD screen now, the error is STOP: 0x0000006B "Process1_ Initialization_Failed". I have looked on the web and over at Microsoft's web site yet I am still none the wiser on this stop code, it's also not in your sticky.

I tried creating an boot log as well but it crashes before it has a chance to write it.

:-(

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok you need to find out what programs or hardware they added before this error started to happen
When I got this problem it was Nortons go back causing it.
PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000006B (0x0000003A, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Sorry for jumping in Neil keep on going -peterm

Edited by peterm, 10 September 2007 - 11:38 PM.

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well I can ask them if they added any software to it, I can safely rule out any new hardware as it's a laptop and they wouldn't have been taking that to bits.

But even if they have added software to it, as I already said safe mode doesn't work, normal mode doesn't work so there's no way to get into Windows to remove the software. That's why I wanted to use a repair installation but the option is unavailable when booting from the XP CD and I'm unable to get it back.

Any ideas on forcing a repair installation would be handy I've come up on a blank with that so far.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Once we know if they have installed software(have you tried last good config?)
we can either do a parrallel install of windows and then remove the software
2)Use UBCD4WIN to boot and remove.

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yep tried last good config as well, I went through the lot just in case lol

Well I'll check with them tomorrow and see, as I want to ask them if it'll be okay to clear it just in case

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
A parallel install will not loose data
neither will UBCD4WIN

Logis

Logis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
That was great UBCD4WIN was just what I needed. I have managed to fix this fault now.

Thanks for all your help.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Mind telling what the fault was and how you fixed it
So other people who read this thread can try to fix it if they get the same problem.
Glad to help
Cheers
Peterm