Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dual boot dialog problem

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Alright, so I installed linux on a different drive than my current OS, this drive also had windows on it (dual-boot w/2xXP Pro). Ubuntu reformatted and installed on the drive just fine but the dual boot dialog still shows two XP Pro installations.

I went into device manager and I saw that the drive was formatted with two partitions, which must have been Ubuntu's doing. Anyway even after reformatting the drive in the control panel, it still thinks there is an OS on that drive (which is now bare after the reformat).

Anybody know how to remedy this?

(I'm sorry if any mods think this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok...so you installed linux on a slave drive that already had a second version of XP on it? i'm assuming you did this on this drive while your PRIMARY disk (he one with xp on it now) was still in the sytem (that would make sense if you're wanting to dual boot from seperate drives)

press start , then run , then type "notepad c:/boot.ini" (without the quotes)...a text file should open up...post the contents of that file (DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING)

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Well, I kinda already fixed the problem, sorry. I asked a friend and he mentioned refreshing BOOT.ini in msconfig and it found the error and fixed it.

Sorry about wasting your time.