Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive missing files?

• Please log in to reply

dmwmn

dmwmn

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi,

I purchased a HP/Compaq Presario Desktop model # SR217ONX a couple of months ago.

This is difficult to describe but right out of the box, nearly every time I take an action the PC, such as open programs, documents, cruising/navigating on IE, I hear a whirring sound from the tower. Sort of like it revs up and then idles.
My initial thoughts were this must be normal until I listened to my mothers PC recently that is same make, slightly different model, and there is no whirring sound.

I spoke with HP support from some where on the other side of the world, they are telling me they think I have missing files on the hard drive and that I need to do a recovery on the PC to restore it to the out of box condition.

Before I go through backing up docs and then having to reload all my programs, I am wondering if this sounds like it a reasonable explanation/solution to others.

Thanks for help.

Denise

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to geekstogo, first off computers of the same make may look the same but their insides are ofter different(for example IBM thinkpad look mostly alike but they differ in power and specs) meaning that it could well be normal for you computer to be noisy. Next, two thing spring to mind first would be a repair with XPcd, link below, because that would rule out a corrupt windows system,

http://www.geekstogo...ecovery console

Also, try a linux live CD to see if you are still getting the same hardward response(it only boots to the ram and does not use your harddrive which is untouched in the test leaving no trace afterwards)

last point, sounds like you have not backed up your data, which means that when your harddrive dies suddenly, which they do when one least expects it, one has lost everything

dmwmn

dmwmn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi fleamailman,

My bad, I forgot to change my operating system information. I now have Vista Home. No recovery CD's came with the PC. However, I believe HP intends to walk me through the recovery process so I assume there is a recovery program on PC already

You are right, I have been lazy over the summer and have not done any back ups. I am working on that today.

Thanks - Denise

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
no prob, I should have seen that vista point too, thanks