Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP will not boot-up

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Ok Glad you are going again
Windows xp home does not install the backup program by default. Since you do not have a full windows cd and only a recovery disk my guess is you would not have the backup program.
I think what might be wise is if you click on C:>windows.0>system32 click once on the config folder to highlight it.
Go to the top and click on tools>folder options>View tab click on show hidden files and folders and click on hide protected operating system files, to uncheck it (you may have to do this step 1st if you cannot see the config folder)
click ok
Once you have highlighted the config folder copy it to a floppy drive or burn it to cd DO NOT MOVE IT.
Then go back and rehide the files and folders and recheck the hide protected system files.
If you add anymore programs then redo these steps.
Hopefully if you get problems again we MIGHT be able to get you back with this folder.
If you prefer in my signature there is a link to a FREE and good backup program (winbackup)
Cheers
Peterm

Advertisements

clark19

clark19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Sounds good.

I will do that today.

Also, I am not able to get my AVG 7.5 virus scan software to reinstall.

I use the Product Key code (cut & pasted it in), and it still says it is wrong.

All the AVG software is on my computer in the program files, but I can not get it to reinstall.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Clark19

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
So I take it it is a download.
Can you redownload and try that?
If you can redownload then I would get rid of the 1st one before starting the second install.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 21 September 2007 - 01:35 AM.

clark19

clark19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The updated product key just got emailed to me from AVG, and I installed the AVG.
So now I am back 100%, better than ever.

Thanks so much for all your help.

This place is the best kept secret on the internet.
I hesitate to tell anyone about it since you may get too busy for my questions, but I will tell everyone happily if you desire more exposure.

Thanks,
Clark19 :)