Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get Windows Defender out of my Registry

• Please log in to reply

janeinpa

janeinpa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

Quite a while ago I installed Windows Defender. Then I un-installed it, but it seems some part of it is still hanging around. Several times a day I get this message:

Microsoft Malware Protection Signature Update Stub had encountered a problem and needs to close.

I go to Add/Remove programs and I see Windows Defender. However, when I try to un-install it it says it needs the feature I am trying to use is on a network source that is unavailable. It gives me an option to browse for the source, but I don't know what it is.

I thought I could try to re-install it and then take it off again, but it says I already have it running.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Try uninstall or reinstall from safe mode. This should clear up the problem of it running when you are trying to alter it.

janeinpa

janeinpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You know, I tried that and I still couldn't uninstall or re-install it.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Alright then I would try a manual uninstall from safe mode. Start by manually deleting all the files associated with the program. Next go to Start > Run > Type "Regedit". Navigate to My Compter\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software. Delete the Windows Defender folder in that section. In case something goes wrong it always best to back up your registry before editing it.

Click here for a guide to backing up the Windows registry

Let me know how it goes.

Edit: BTW, welcome to Geeks to Go.

Edited by Titan8990, 12 September 2007 - 10:27 AM.

janeinpa

janeinpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you! That seems to have worked.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Glad I could help :whistling:.

janeinpa

janeinpa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not getting the "malware protection stub" message anymore, but I still see Windows Defender when I go to add/remove programs. Should I worry about it? If I try to remove it, it says it doesn't have a valid installation package.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
To remove an entry from the program group that you do not want/ can't remove, use ADD REMOVE PRO