Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Interesting peripheral problem

• Please log in to reply

Mysterioussubtleties

Mysterioussubtleties

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've purchased a USB adapter that connects to a cordless phone. It is very similar to the RJ11 internet VOIP phone Adapter. It basically routs a signal from a cordless phone to the computer through the headphone and mic ports as well as a USB slot. While using the phone near the computer, the volume control works well and the peripheral behaves perfectly. The problem is when one wants to wander away from the computer with the cordless phone. The person on the end experiences two very interesting problems; the first is that the volume they can hear from the person talking decreases extremely quickly which can be countered by turning up the volume on the computer (To a point), and the second is that small noises very far away from the phone are picked up extremely loudly. In other words while the person could yell into the phone and you couldn't hear them, you can literally hear a clock ticking from a different room. I've tested multiple phones and have determined that they are not the problem and the computer's volume control does very little to help with the second problem. To me it seems as if the adapter itself is mixing up which sound signals it is deciding to amplify and which to reproduce quietly. Any insight as to what could be done about this (types of drivers, other adapters, etc) would be extremely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
This is a guess only, but it sounds like the input to the phone is going through your mic, not the phone itself, and that turning up the volume is increasing the mic sensitivity at the computer. That would explaing the background noises being picked up without the sound going into the phone itself changing.

Mysterioussubtleties

Mysterioussubtleties

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I kind of see what you're saying. However, if there is no mic at the computer or if there is a way for the sound to be picked up by the computer, what could cause that? Because, as far as I can tell, there should be no peripheral that will allow the computer to pick up sound except for the 'mic' on the cordless phone itself.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Depending on your system, you might have a mic built in to you monitor that you don't even see. Or, do you have a headset with a mic built in that's plugged in somewhere at your work area?

Mysterioussubtleties

Mysterioussubtleties

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The workzone doesn't have a built in mic. There was a mic that was plugged into the computer, however, the cordless phone that is hooked up through the RJ11 internet VOIP phone Adapter uses that slot. So the mic that had originally been plugged in was removed and replaced with the adapter.

Edited by Mysterioussubtleties, 15 April 2005 - 02:48 PM.

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Well, that takes care of the obvious. I'm not sure where to go with it now.

Mysterioussubtleties

Mysterioussubtleties

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your help, hopefully someone will do some more troubleshooting with it. It's certainly a strange one.