Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Problem.. HELP

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am running a Dell PC with Windows XP. I get the BSOD at startup, and cannot start in safe mode. I have tried booting with the Windown Install disk, nothing. Then ran chkdsk... It runs but just says about 30% of the way through that it has multiple errors that may not be fixable!? Where do I go from here??

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like your hard drive is failing. If you have valuable files on it you will need to move them to another drive. External drives are not very expensive now and are a good investment for backing up your files. Then you could use a Linux liveCD such as the one in my signature to copy the files over to the backup disk after it is formatted to the ntfs file system, put in a new hard drive and install again if you wish. You may also be able to copy an image of the old drive to the new one.

Don't stress the disk any more than you have to, it may completely fail at any time. Before you do anything else I would suggest downloading and running drive diagnostics from a floppy or CD, taken from either the drive maker or Dell.