Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti-virus

• Please log in to reply

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
I'd just like to know if it'll be better to get the free version of AVG or a semi-version of McAfee. My semi-version of McAfee does not have a firewall, just the very very basic tools like VirusScan.

Would it be better if I get the completely free version of AVG?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The free AVG app is an excellent tool and is highly recommended by many. I would also recommend the free ZoneAlarm for your firewall. Many of these paid for apps cause problems and a slow-down in pc operation. Norton is good for doing this.

I have Avast, AVG and ClamWin for my anti-virus apps as well as Windows Defender. Remember, not any one program is capable of catching everything. I occasionally take advange of the free scans available at Trend Micro's or McAffee's sites. Other good apps are the free AdAware 2007 and SpyBot Search & Destroy. Be careful of the ones that have similar names as they are spyware in and of themselves.

Check out some of the others recommended on this forum: Anti-Malware Tools

Ron

JayBern

JayBern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Which option do you recommend and feel you would take the route if you were in my position?
  • Uninstall McAfee completely and download AVG.
  • Purchase/renew McAfee's expired client.
Don't think I'll need ZoneAlarm since I have Windows Firewall and another firewall in my Linksys WRT54G router itself. What do you think?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If McAfee needs updates and you have to pay to renew, I would dump it as the free stuff does just as good. If you think you are secure enough with router's and Windows' firewalls then ZA is not needed. Try the Stealth Test at GRC.com. See if all the common ports are stealthed. You can also run some of the other ports they list or type in any you want to check. There are a few other neat tests to use if you wish.

Ron