Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP-Does Wired Router Tend to Overheat/Freeze Up Less Than Wireless?

• Please log in to reply

routeruser

routeruser

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would appreciate anyone's views on whether a wired router is inherently less prone to freezing or locking up than a wireless? I have used wireless routers that last for a while then start freezing so they have to be unplugged and restarted sometimes daily, sometimes less often, sometimes more often. I have tried a few brands, they all start out OK but seem to freeze up randomly (they need to be unplugged from the power then plugged back in). I know the problem isn't my computer, because the router display shows it is frozen and none of my computers receiving wireless from the router have a connection.

Do wireless routers overheat as they run more traffic through them? My question is, is a wired router less apt to have to need to be restarted? I'm not worried about reliability issues related to interference, but rather ability to stay up without having to be restarted. Thanks!

Edited by routeruser, 11 September 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I have never heard or seen that a wireless router will overheat or freeze more often than a wired connection. Being involved in that industry the chipsets are not that different between the two pieces of hardware. The wireless just has the antenna assembly added to the board, but they do not create that much heat, not enough to lock a switch.

There may be other hardware failing or bad modem to the internet.