Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starship Titanic

• Please log in to reply

libelullart

libelullart

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. Congratulation on this site.. its been very helpful for me, although this is my first time posting and i'm glad its not a work related problem... hope you can help me out..

I recently acquired a used copy of starship titanic (back from the 90s) which i had wanted to play forever, but never got a hold of. So i installed it and although it plays really good, some of the video sequences don't show on the screen.. some of them are rather important to gameplay.. for example a tv screen shows a video but all i get is a black square where it should be.

I'm running on windows XP media center edition, and was able to run it with and without the compatibility assitant.. i also found theres a folder called "assets" in the install directory, which contains all said videos in .avi format (all have different compression, like cinepak, m5RLE, some are uncompressed)

so i was wondering if this could be just a compatibility issue or if the copy might be damaged somehow.. is there a way to make this work?

i appreciate your help in advance.. thank you

Advertisements

fortune82

fortune82

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
i remember trying to get an old nascar game (1996 i think) working on my media center edition. i learned that the problem was that the game itself required drivers, and the drivers were "extinct" on the internet. (partly because they were so old, and secondly because the maker, papyrus, was out of business)