Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking blues

• Please log in to reply

tomcat82453

tomcat82453

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I have a situation where the internet connection is lost on all three computers connected to a wireless router. Unplug the power cord to the router, wait 1 minute, plug it back in, and the internet is connected again.
This is a scenario with my sister's network. They have a Comcast broadband with a modem that connects the TV,Phone and the internet. They have a Netgear WGT624 v2 router. I replaced the router with a new WRT150N Linksys wireless n. By the way, one desktop is wired via rj45 to the router. I noticed that when I remove the router and connected the desktop to the modem, I cannot connect to the internet at all. I had to power cycle it three times and finally, I tried the command:
NETSH INT IP RESET, rebooted the system and it worked. I connected the Linksys WRT150N and everything is ok until after 4 hours. One computer that is connected wirelessly couldn't get an IP. So they tried the pull the power plug thing from the Linksys router and it worked again.
Could it be the modem? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post.

Tom

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
It's been my experience that whenever I replace a router or modem (lightning loves me), I have to call comcast and give them the MAC address of the device. Sounds like you were on the phone with them, did they ask you for that info?
I'd get the wired PC working first and then tackle any wireless issues after that.

Does the phone work? If it does, that would indicate that the (wired) chain of devices is working all the way to whatever device the phone is connected to.

Edited by 98springer, 11 September 2007 - 08:54 PM.