Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

localhost on XP Home

• Please log in to reply

suzi_sunshine

suzi_sunshine

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello,

I am preparing to build my first dynamic website and was hoping to set up a testing server on my own computer. I have XP Home Edition, found out that I need XP Pro in order to do this.

Does anyone know if it is possible to safely set up a testing server on an XP Home machine or is there some other way to set up a testing server?

I have ColdFusion MX on my machine and could use that, but the server used by the company I'm designing the website for is a PHP/MySQL server.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

~Suzi Sunshine~

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do you have an old computer laying around, or can you get one? You could easily put Linux on the machine and install whatever server software you need. No, you would not be able to easily put a Microsoft server on it, but you could put Apache, LAMP or any number of others. And you can get PHP, mySQL and so on all for free. Most large webservers are either Linux or Unix based. You would need to learn how to configure the server however.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can download Apache for free from the internet and it will run on XP Home. Most web servers use Apache, though some use Windows and others.
Alternatively if you just want something that works out of the box , google Xitami. Just run it and its ready to respond. Then you can add PHP or MySQL or whatever you need to it and they all work.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I've used Denwer for creating website with php and mysql. It is very small and easy in use. It is free. Also look for TopServer.