Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for utility to scan computers

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I need a utility to scan computers for problems and I need it to be able to work on any PC I want. I need it o look for corrupt files, problem programs and registry problems. I want to use it in my business. Is there a strong and reliable program out there for that. Bruce

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Thousands of programs do this already, though none of them guarantee to fix program problems which are often caused in many varied and weird ways, and registry problems - you often know about them at a point where the serious ones mean Windows doesn't work any more.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
When you have a PC that works some what sluggish and when you use IE 6 it freezes and you have tried every thing possible you want to format and load. I will try removing IE6 and using the XP cd to reinstall to see if that don't help. You can't browse it just freezes. Bruce

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if you want something that runs of cd and does:

hdd error checking
registry cleanup
system problem

that would be norton system works. I just run the utilities off the cd. As Niel suggested, there are many other programs out there that do various parts of what you requested. Some of them can run from cd, while others need to be installed. Some are free, other cost money. Depends on the specific needs and wants.

In response to your second post: I would recommend an xp repair (without other info, that's all I can advise). If you would care to offer more info, I might be able to offer more suggestions.

Here is a nice little repair guide: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Edited by starjax, 12 September 2007 - 12:52 PM.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I did a xp repair and it helped some but windows was messed up enough that it still has major problems. The solution I did a format with the xp disk and reloaded and have a shape OS now. Thanks Bruce