Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports problem

• Please log in to reply

Lipredator

Lipredator

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi

I have a problem with my desktop USB ports. When I try to connect a USB Human Interface Device, a USB Mass Storage Device, or any other, the USB ports do not detect those devices. The problem started last weekend (Sept 8th), my brother was using our Desktop Computer and he noticed a problem with the wireless mouse we use. He told me that the USB port was not detecting the mouse and that he decided to reboot the system. However, Windows XP could not be restarted because one of the system files was corrupted, and we ended having two problems. Since me and my parents had agreed to reinstall Windows XP on our Desktop Computer some time ago, I thought the two problems would be solved by reinstalling Windows XP.

We have a Gateway 500X PC with two internal Hard Drives. Previously, the two Hard Drives had Windows XP. (now, only one of them have Windows and the other is used only for storage). The wireless mouse is a Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse.

After I reinstalled Windows XP the problem with the USB ports was not solved. The next step I took was to reinstall the USB drivers: went to Device Manager, uninstalled the USB drivers, and restarted my computer. Then, I tried to connect my wireles mouse but it was not detected.

Yesterday (Sept 10) I found something interesting: I connected the wireless mouse, that we were using on our Desktop Computer, to my laptop and found out that the mouse was malfunctioning. So I took another wireles mouse (I first checked it on my laptop to see if it was OK), and I connected the device to our Desktop Computer. Surprisingly, the USB port detected the mouse but it was only for a moment...then nothing

I have been trying with my MP3 player, Mass Storage Devices but the USB ports do not work

I would really appreciate any help

Thank You

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

First thing to try is this :

Turn the computer off. Make sure all USB devices are unplugged & then remove the power cable from the back of the computer. Leave the computer like this for a while, preferably overnight, then reconnect power & switch computer on.
When windows has loaded, reconnect one the USB devices & see if it's detected.

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi

I appreciate your help Samm

I unplugged all USB devices and removed the power cable.....I have just turned the computer on and Windows is running

I connected my wireless mouse but it is not being detected

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

How long did you leave it unplugged for?

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I left it unplugged for almost 8 hours (all night)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, cool.

In windows then, can you do to Start->Run.. and type devmgmt.msc to open device manager please?
In DM you should see the USB Controllers branch. If you expand that branch, you should see several entries listed - eg USB Root hub, Host Controller etc.
Let me know:
1) Exactly what is listed there
2) Whether any of the devices listed have either a red (X) or a yellow (!) mark next to them.

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK:

- Universal Serial Bus Controller
- Generic USB Hub
- Intel® 8280 1BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
- Intel® 8280 1BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

None of them has a red or yellow mark

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, thanks.

The info in device manager is suggesting that you have a USB hub connected. Is that correct?
If so, are you connecting the mouse to this hub or directly to the computers USB port?
Also, have you tried any other USB devices other than the mouse? Do they work?

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
hmmm, I know that a USB hub allows several USB devices to be connected to a single USB port. However, I don't know if there are internal USB hubs; I only see USB ports in my computer (6 of them).

Now that you mention it, I connected my MP3 player and is being detected and charged. I tried to connected it to all ports and is OK.

I also connected my USB Mass Storage Device and it's OK too.....that's good news!!!

I haven't tried with the wireless mouse; the one that I have is malfunctioning, I need to wait until my sis brings me one that works

So far, USB ports working OK :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, it looks like everythings now working then. If the mouse is malfunctioning anyway, then that may explain why it wasn't detected.

Let me know if you have any further problems with it.

Advertisements

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK bad news again :whistling:

I have just connected the wireless mouse (this one is working ok) to my computer but it is not detected. I tried to connect my MP3 player and my Mass Storage Device again, but they are not being detected.

I found another interesting thing: I have 6 USB ports - 2 in the front, and 4 in the back of my computer. I connected my MP3 player to all these USB ports and it was only detected by two of them that are in the back of my computer. I also connected my wireless mouse to one of these 2 ports that are working, and it was detected. The problem is that sometimes the pointer is not moving, but then I can move it again. I also noticed that the green light (the one, which tells if the wireless mouse is working) is not on all the time. The green light blinks like if something is turning it on and off.

Could it be that the USB ports are not giving enough voltage or current to the devices?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could be that the usb wireless transmitter that plugs into the computer is faulty. Try to disconnect it and use a non-wireless mouse, preferably connected to the green ps2 connector.

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Skeptic

I noticed that I did not describe the last problem properly. The green light belongs to the Wireless Mouse Transmitter. Once I connect this transmitter to the computer if the green light is on is because the Wireless Mouse is being detected.

I also tried to connect the Wireless Mouse to my Laptop and is being detected and working.....the mouse transmitter green light is always on.

I apologize for the confusion. I will get a non-wireless mouse this weekend

Thank you for your help

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
According to device manager, you have 2 host controllers & 2 root hubs. This would indicate 4 USB ports, not 6. I'm wondering in that case if one of the controllers is either disabled in the bios or has blown.

Are you able to access the bios & check this?

Re. the front 2 ports - these will be connected by an internal cable to the motherboard. As they're not working either, it's possible that they are either disabled, blown or not properly connected. Lets check the bios settings first & take it from there, ok?

Lipredator

Lipredator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
OK Samm I will check the Bios Setup Utility.....the problem is that I am not familiar with Bios Settings.

Could you please help me?

Thanks