Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

15 min. to start up

• Please log in to reply

ekikos

ekikos

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
hi,

guys i need your help. i have windows xp sp2 . my start up has been really really slow about 10-12 min. everything is set up so that it will boot faster but for some reason it does not. i need your help to find out why?

thanks

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest you get free WinPatrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/

Right click the little scotty dog in your system try and choose: "display start-up info."
A list of everything that is set to start automatically with Windows will be displayed.

To stop a program from starting automatically, simply left click it once to highlight,
and then push the "disable" button on the lower right.
This will not change the program's functionality. It will still start and run fine manually from All Programs or its shortcut.
To put it back on Auto-start, simply return to the list, highlight it and push the "Enable" button.

I suggest that you physically disconnect from the internet temporarily. Unplug the cable or disable the wireless connection, use WinPatrol to 'disable' everything, and reboot.

How long did that take? If still long--Windows problem, and we will work on it.
Fast-- application problem. Re-enable the programs one at a time til you discover which is causing the delay.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
i will try that.
be back with the results.

thanks

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Time to use your "runbox" to clean your computer,
(all these steps are done with the run box then)

deleting the prefetch files
-----------------------------
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: prefetch
- press: enter
(the prefetch folder opens)
- press: ctrl + a
(select all is the same)
- press: shift + del
(deletes without prompt)

disc clean up
---------------
runbox command
- press keyboard buttons:winkey + r
- paste: cleanmgr.exe
- choose drive(normally C: )
(this process can take a long time)

checkdisk
------------
runbox command
- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: chkdsk /f /r
( black window appears)
- press: Y button
- reboot the comp
(this process is the longest, worse the screen may be
lost before hours later the computer arrives at the welcome screen)

disc defragmenter
----------------------
runbox command
- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r
- paste in the slot: dfrg.msc
- press enter
(this process can take a long time)

deleting internet cookies, files and history
-------------------------------------------------
- press the keyboard buttons: winkey + r button
- paste in the slot: inetcpl.cpl
- click: delete cookies
- click: delete file
- click: clear history

disable unwanted startups
------------------------------
runbox command
- press: winkey + r
- paste: msconfig
- click tab: start ups
- keep: the AV and firewall entriies enabled,
- disable: 100% unused or unneeded entries
- Unsure about the start up: http://www.bleepingc...r.com/startups/
(IMPORTANT: enable all startups before running the Hijackthis program)

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
sorry for the delay. i disabled all the start up pgms and no difference in the start up time. so i only have to assume it is a windows problem. whats next?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Is the major part of the delay before or after the Welcome Screen?

fleamailman's suggestions seem daunting because of the Run box command nature of the actions. What he is describing is basic clean-up and organization of the system. Myself, I prefer a user interface.

So~

Clean-up: Get free ATF Cleaner: http://www.atribune....tent/view/19/2/
Just "save" to your desktop. No install app. Double click to run. First time use
"Select All." After that I suggest not checking cookies or prefetch. Cookies so that you don't have to log-in every time you visit G2G and prefetch to speed up application launch times.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools gets you to "Disk Defragmenter."
Open it up and left click "C" once to highlight. Then push the "Defragment" button.
If you've never done this, or it's been a long time since, go get lunch.

Checkdisc is a procedure by which Windows examines the hard drive for problems and attempts repair. Open "My Computer," and right click the C:\ drive. Please choose Properties. Click the Tools tab, push the Check Now button, and then check both boxes before selecting Start.

Windows will tell you that it can't do it now because the disc is in use. Want to do it at next boot? Yes. At next boot Windows will start at a black screen with white writing where it tells you about the amazingly slow progress it is making through several steps in checking the disk. When it is done, Windows will boot normally.

Next, please do a scannow procedure. This link gives a good explanation:
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html Basically, this is Windows checking itself for problems. Should it find any, it will ask for the XP CD. Insert it and then press Retry as often as asked. This takes a while too. (Is the cure getting to be worse than the problem? - and still no guarantees)

Couple more things. While primarily designed for shutdown trouble, this utility from Microsoft may help in your case as well, and will do no harm: http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Also, Windows has a built-in process for optimizing the boot files. this is designed to run when the system is at idle. Create this shortcut to make it do it now. Right click the Desktop and select New Shortcut. Where it says "Type the location..." please paste: %windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks After double clicking it, please leave the computer alone for about 10-15min so that everything can complete.

Of course, I do not know your system specifications. I used to have a .750 processor and only 256gigs of RAM. The best boot time I ever got was just over 5min.

Please let us know how things are progressing.

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
im in the process of running the application. the start up used to take me a quarter of the time about 2-4 min. will be back with results

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
i have found the problem. it was my spyware software. i removed it and everything is working just fine. another question: what can i do when working with wireless internet buffering is always required when im trying to watch a video..and i cannot watch the video because it pauses for buffering and then its on again. i have high speed internet 5M. Also it works just fine with my other laptop...and when i am watching the video connected through cable it works just fine.

any ideas???

thanks

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
it is buffering because the play is faster than the download speed, just pause the stream, have a cup of coffee to kill time and then later when you see that it has nearly finished again press the play button

btw, sorry about the runbox thingy, I loved it when I was on XP because it would go straight to the target each time

ekikos

ekikos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
thanks for your help.

enjoy