Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two small questions/problems

• Please log in to reply

smadam9

smadam9

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
First, I have a device called PlugLink. Which I don't like. It goes very slow even though the status on network connections says its running at 100mbps. Can you tell me why this is? If you aren't familiar, it plugs into the wall socket and then to my computer's ethernet and the another matching device plugs into the router and a wall socket. (hope that makes some sense). But if you could give me some ideas as to why its so slow I would appreciate it.

Secondly, I am trying to have a wireless connection as backup in case the PlugLink is too slow. The connection says its active and it picks up the router, but there are 0 packets sent back and forth and I can't figure out why that it. It's like the computer is only recognizing the LAN and not the Wireless connection. Any ideas?

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I dont know much about the PlugLink but Im sure the speed will depend on the length between the two sockets, the number of times the cable is spliced in the wall, and the fact that its running over electrical cable and not ethernet cable. Im sure there are a few reasons that all combine into making it slow, but this is a hypothesis.

For the wireless connection make sure the PC and the router are on the same channel and set up for the same security. Disable and re-enable the wireless connection on the computer and make sure both the router and the PC has their wireless enabled.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...if you're connected to the pluglink at the same time you're trying to connect to the wireless...then the pc will probably use the pluglink since it was connected first...try unplugging from that connection then testing the wireless connection