Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing a new LCD on my presario 2500

• Please log in to reply

krbur

krbur

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I have a Compaq Presario 2500 that I need to install a new monitor on. As far as doing the hardware stuff no problem I have a repair manual and have worked on computers as a hobby for over 10 years. I am stifled though by the box that says:

Important
After replacing the display assembly or motherboard, you must use the Service Utilities floppy disk
to reprogram the EEPROM on the motherboard for the new display.
1. Download the notebook series service package from the Partnership Web site (see page vii),
and create a Service Utilities floppy disk as described in the packageĚs Readme file.
2. Plug in an AC adapter.
3. Insert the Service Utilities floppy disk in the floppy drive. If the unit has no internal floppy drive,
connect a USB floppy drive.
4. Turn on the notebook.
5. When you see the HP logo, press ESC to display the boot menu, then boot from the floppy
drive.
6. Select the option to update the display/LCD identification stored on the motherboard.

I have been to HP/Compaq site and can not find this Service package - is there somewhere else I could get this or is there a way around this?

I sure don't want to do the hardware switch and then find it won't work because of and identification problem. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks for any help.

krbur

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It's quite possible that what they are referring to is only available to an authorized compaq repair person..... I do repairs on toshiba and that is how it is with them... although they often have a cutdown version that a user can download as well... You may need to contact compaq and see if it's available... Also it might only be for the recovery disk.... The computer will still work but the recovery disk won't work anymore...

Good luck....

krbur

krbur

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Shard92

I was thinking the same way. Just am impatient waiting for Compaq to reply. I will probably give it a shot and see how well it works without the disk.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Good luck.... Hopefully it just updates a bios string to identify it to the cd.... then all you could loose is the recovery disks...