Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply

Rob_

Rob_

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yesterday while my g/f was using our computer it froze up. If we reboot we now sometimes get a black screen with nothing displayed (none of the boot screens, etc.). Occasionally it will load up but after a few minutes max it will freeze up again.

I have two hard drives; one has Vista and the other XP. I have tried booting into both with the same problem so presume it is a hardware issue.

I have two slots of ram which I have taken out one at a time to see if that helped but it didn't.

I removed the geforce 7600 graphics card and tried it with the onboard graphics card but had the same problem. Except with the 7600 when it freezes the screen looks the same whereas when it freezes with the onboard card in orange lines appear down the screen and the image looks a little crackly.

I unplugged the Vista drive with the same result; not had chance to try unplugging the XP drive as yet.

Any ideas of what the problem is and how to resolve it?

Cheers for any help.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well with the things you have eliminated I'd look at heat and maybe power supply... Also you can double check the motherboard for 1) dust build up around the cpu and the card slots.... 2) the electrolytic capacitors ( little "cans" ) on the motherboard, are they bulged? leaking?

Rob_

Rob_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Couldn't see any bulking, leaking cans on the motherboard. I had a good clean in there; took apart the power unit and the fans to clean them. Doesn't appear to have fixed my issue. Hard drive still sounds like it is doing it's business but my PC appears to have frozen at 37% on stage 4 of a CHKDSK.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
it might be worth it to get the diagnostic software from your hard drive manufacturers website and run that.... Also possibly look at running a ram tester like memtest86....

Rob_

Rob_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm currently struggling to boot the machine at all now. Constantly just having a black screen on boot. I picked up a Power Supply today and will try that later and hopefully it will fix the problem otherwise I will have to try and get on there to try your suggestions. Cheers shard92.

Rob_

Rob_

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
A new power supply didn't work. Last hope is the hard drive with the MBR is the culprit. Went out and bought another computer anyway but hopefully I can fix this other one as that is part of the fun of owning a computer. :whistling:

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if you are not getting video, I'd disconnect everything ( including drives) except one stick of memory and the video ( if it's a seperate card and you don't have on-board video ) and see if you get anything... if you still get no video then you could try pulling the memory and see if you get any beeps... if not you may have a bad motherboard....