Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Philips DVD+-RW SDVD8820 problems

• Please log in to reply

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi,

The topic description basically says it all. Our CD/DVD drive gives us regular problems burning CDs where there is often background noise (and this often gets more pronounced towards the end of the CD). Some CDs won't play at all. Plus, DVDs start hanging about halfway through the movie- for a split second at a time, every few seconds, and this also gets worse as it goes on.

I spoke with Dell in the spring, they had me do a critical update (the driver perhaps?) but this did not solve the problem.

This is on a Dell Inspiron E1505 notebook running Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance for any help!
~Doug

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is probably caused by burning at too fast a speed, try slowing it down slightly.

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll try that, thanks Neil. Can you also adjust the speed at which DVDs play though? Or do you think this perhaps a separate problem?

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Just wanted to report that at a slower burn speed, the CDs seem to come out fine so far. Thanks so much! :)

Prog_Frog

Prog_Frog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
We're still having the DVD skipping problem on playback. Also, burned music CDs still often produce occasional skips (contrary to my earlier report - sometimes they come out fine but sometimes not), even when I am able to set a slower burn speed.

Any help would be appreciated!