Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD RW DVD problem

• Please log in to reply

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
My Dvd don't open the door , and the cdrom don't play I have no Ideal what happened. I have windows 98 SE Compaq provillion 5700 T has 40 gigs...

We have had problems with it being slow. I do have norton antivirus and spysweeper I try to keep this defraged at least every couple of weeks if it does not get it on its scedule because of our use.

I tryed re installing the software it has a Yellow ( ! ) mark on it and stated it is not installed or not responding.

I hope you can help me because at this point I just don't know what to do.

Betty :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what has the yellow ! on it

Identify them

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
Let's see if plug 'n play can reinstall the devices. There are 3 steps. Remove the devices using device manager, restart the PC, then let plug 'n play reinstall them.

1. start>settings>control panel>system>device manager
expand the cdrom list by left clicking the + next to CDROM
select one device, left click remove - repeat for the other device
ok on device manager window, close control panel window
2. start>shutdown>restart
3. follow plug 'n play instructions

if this does not work, please go into device manager and post the devices listed and their current status(red or yellow indicators)

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The Yellow (!) is on the Mitsumi CD-Rom Controller with Double Double speek drive.

I have tryed the other avenue and it did not work..... when you say plug and play are you saying the add new hardware that is what I tryed.

Betty

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
try removing(not physically, but with device manager) the Mitsumi CD-Rom Controller with Double Double speek drive, then restart the PC. Plug 'n play will automatically run on restart. If the drivers are not found on your PC, it will run through the add hardware option.

reason: when the drive is removed and the PC is restarted, it will find 'new' hardware and will try to install it.

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have tryed that already and no luck on it.

I just don't know why these drives quit I went on live chat and they could not give me any info differant than what I have done already.

Betty

rrush

rrush

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Do you also have yellow exclamation next to IDE drive(s)? If so, the link below describes a registry edit that will help.

http://forums.techgu...ry/t-39483.html

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Betty,

How old is this computer?

I note this:

Mitsumi CD-Rom Controller with Double Double speek drive

I think you have a pre-standardized controller. Back before CD-rom drives were controlled by generic ide controllers, they had proprietary controllers from companies like misumi, sony and matsonic....it looks like this is the case here.

If so, this will be tricky to track down.

So, how old is this PC and we cna move on from there if the above post does not help

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
my computer has the generic IDE running in it , the computer is a 2000 compaq presario 5700T model put together as ask for I stand corrected on my gigs I have 20 not 40 on the computer.

No there are not any yellow (! ) next to any IDE checked down in the drivers folder on the my computer propertys.

Hope this helps

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > run, type
regedit

Navigate to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\IOS

do you see anything on the right that says NoIDE

?

(don't do anything, just report back)

Advertisements

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok I did what you said and i only have this when I open file of IOS it has icon in file of ab default value not set , icon looks like ohho start and 00 , ab icon again staticvxd "IOS" this is all that is listed

Betty

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK...that's not it either.....hmmm....did you have any kind of CD-burning program on there?

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yes I did combo of CD rom / dvd burner

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
still flaying away here...baffling....your system is too new for what I thought was the problem so why the mitsumi????

Double click the mitsumi controller and see if you can see a message as to what is wrong....have you ever opened this case? If so, the cable running from the cd-rom and dvd-rom goes to where? THe motherboard or a separte card plugged into the motherboard...I wish Compaq would make their system info easier to find.....

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I did click on the Mis and it says in device status - This Device is either not present , not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed. code 10 try upgrading the device drivers for this device .... which i have done with the upgrade button.

No I have not ever had this one open never needed to

Betty