Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD RW DVD problem

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it does not appear as if you've said you have a windows cd....do you?

Also, do a search for *.cab on your drive

Where are they if you find them, typically in a directory called OPTIONS

Advertisements

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I do not show any other drives except the norm A;C;D; these are all I have checked the options and nothing shows up for me at all

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
sorry if I sound short I will try this as soon as I can get back on here.

Betty

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
first I did a search in the C: drive and found the *.cab in winrep,setupx.dll,sfc, iuengine.dll , sfc win help file, others are win sys , oh my this is pulling up from 1999 last modifyed files. there was noting on the d drive that showed up in files search.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You did not mention if you have a Windows CD

Here's where I am going....just so things don't seem so mysterious

The files we need are basic windows drivers and they are located on the CD...sometimes, people set up machines with the driver files on the harddrive. The files are compressed into large archives with names like win98_09.cab......

Convention is that these files be stored in a folder called OPTIONS, typically in the c:\windows\ folder

It does not look like that is the case here, so we need the windows cd.

I think what has happened here is somehow windows is convinced that you have a mitsumi controller, rather than a generic ide controller, and has connected your CD-drives to that.

Since the driver for the mitsumi does not exist, your CD drives will not work.

Even installing it is pointless since your computer uses the generic controller

This is actually a pretty difficult situation, since removing the mitsumi as you've done will simply result in it re-installing...

Did you try removing both the mitusmi and the primary and secondary ide controllers at the same time and removing them?

I honestly do not think that will work.

What I would like to do is to get windows to redetect your hardware by blowing away a certain registry key, but this is not guaranteed to succeed and do not want to try until I know that you have a windows cd

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have my restore CD's but the computer will not run them to work with.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
restore CDs are not what we need here.

And your computer will run them, I suspect, just not from within Windows.

Your problem is that the windows 32bit drivers are the issue, not the drives or hardware.

I re-read your earlier post regarding the cab files....I am unclear what you searched...WIndows Help?

Double Click MY COMPUTER, double click C: DRIVE, look at all the folders.

Do you see OPTIONS, if not, double click WINDOWS

If Windows gives a message that the folder is hidden, there should be a llink to the left to allow you to view the folder contents. Click it. Do you see OPTIONS now?

Double Click it, what do you see?

Bmwgranny

Bmwgranny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry I did not get back with you sooner, but my computer decided to go bonkers . My husband decided since we have the warrenty and it was comming up to renew instead of renewing on this 2000 model we should just take it in let the geek squad clean it and let them look at it.

they installed a new burner and the system did not reconise the drive at all after they said it would burn our files to save them so they can work on the mother board Well to my surprise it was stuck in safe mode and it would not let me get it out no matter what I did.

Thanks for all your help , I now have a new computer hp pavilion a 1034n it is a very new model I am told top of the line. has 200 gb 700 rpm serial ata hard drive.

Again thanks Betty

doribell

doribell

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I did click on the Mis and it says in device status - This Device is either not present , not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed. code 10 try upgrading the device drivers for this device .... which i have done with the upgrade button.

No I have not ever had this one open never needed to
Betty

View Post