Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reformatting my harddrive

• Please log in to reply

flgurlathrt

flgurlathrt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

Okay, my friend gave me this pc and it had win2k on it. I thought when I used my xp disk it would overwrite 2k, but it didnt. Instead now I have 2 os on here and each time I boot up I need to chose which one to use. Also, she never wiped it clean prior to giving it to me so it has tons of crap on here I dont need. I also know there are viruses and malware on here. My scans cant always get rid of them. So basicly I just want to totally fdisk here.

My questions; prior to fdisking, do you recomend Killdisk? I read about it at another site, but I am not familar with it at all. And I am not sure where to get it or how to use it. 2nd; I have a 98se boot disk. After reading thru old instructions on reformatting, it explains how to go about it when reinstalling 98. I want to reinstall xp. What do I do differently? 3rd; I have 2 40gb harddrives installed on the pc. Will fdisk claen both of them? Or do I need to chose the drives during the process? I would like one to stay free for music and pictures and stuff like that if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. I do have some expierence here with computers, I just dont want to do the wrong thing and screw it ALL up! lol I have reformatted my old machine a long, long time ago with 98se...but like I said earlier...it seems like this time is different.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can download something called DBAN to a floppy or a CD and boot from it. It will allow you to completely write the hard drive to zeros, removing everything. Often this is the best thing to do when installing a new OS. You can find either Killdisk or DBAN by Googling that +download.

flgurlathrt

flgurlathrt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Tyger i will try that and go from there I guess.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
heres DBAN

BOOT AND NUKE

at the time of reformat
windows xp should of detect win2k
and you should've been given the option to erase it/win2k

boot and nuke should zero the drive

Edited by Mr Freeze, 13 September 2007 - 01:29 PM.