Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

If the First Bite Doesn’t Do It, the Second One Will

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.nytimes.c...amp;oref=slogin

There are times when life imitates art. Then there are times when life imitates science fiction.

Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Rita Mehta/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images (jawbones and radiographs)
DUAL ACTION Morays have two sets of jaws, one for an initial bite and one mostly for pulling prey into the throat.
VideoMore Video » One of the most famous monsters in film history is the extraterrestrial beast of the “Alien” series. It slowly opened its glistening fangs to reveal a second set of jaws that shot forward to kill its victims.

Scientists have now discovered a fish that does the same thing.

Morays belong to a group called ray-finned fishes that includes a vast majority of fish species, like tuna, goldfish, salmon and trout. Most ray-finned fish use suction to eat. To catch prey, they suddenly expand their mouth cavity. The negative water pressure sucks in the prey.

Dr. Mehta rigged up a high-speed video camera that could peer into the mouth of a feeding moray. “When we got the movies, we sat and stared in disbelief,” Dr. Wainwright said.

The movies showed that when morays lunge for prey, they first grab it with the teeth on their front jaws. The pharyngeal jaws then shoot forward out of the eel’s throat, into the mouth, and snap down on the prey.

The eel can then open its front jaws, releasing the prey, while the pharyngeal jaws move back down into the throat, dragging the food with them.

you HAVE to watch the video.....and look at the X-rays.....it's nuts

Advertisements

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
COOL!!!!I've been diving for over 30 yrs.,seen a lot of these buggers and i have a helluva respect for them!Maybe its time to fear them!?Thanks dsenette for making the water (un)safe again! :whistling:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I read this in the Washington Post yesterday, but they didn't have the video. That's pretty cool.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im a little stunned I dont know what to say that is one of the most bizarre things I think Ive seen! :whistling: