Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

defragmenting

• Please log in to reply

grahame10

grahame10

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
hello everybody

my computer takes about five to six hours to defrag been through the forum index to see if there was an answer to my problem but could'nt fine one so went through some other sites forums to see if there was anythink resembling my problem, and found one like mine

it gave a few answers like downloading diskeeper lite
and defraging in safe mode
then a reply as so
(1)
defagment doe's NOT need to be done
(2)
(if you use a file system that does'nt have journalling, then a defrag will boost performance
(3)
hdd's are made in such away these's days that the byte's are already stored in logical way's on the magnetic particles on your hdd platters
(4)
where the os scatter's the data is entirely independent of the hard drive's construction
(5)
defragmenting is only wasting your time
(6)
if using a microsoft os it's essential
(7)
defragging's not required if using the ext3 file system and linux

i could'nt reply to the forum it's on as i'm not a member and think i can get all the help i need on here, sorry it's a bit long winded but thay never said how to find out if the computer supports this
i'm hoping someone on here would be kind enough to explain what thay mean or is fve to six hours about right,
the computer's getting on for five years now, using windows xp home edition, and internet explorer seven

Many Thanks Grahame

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well when data is written then removed from the hard drive, over time and sometimes a short time, the data that is still there will have large gaps of data on the hard drive. The defrag will put the data thats there back into a contigous state and help speed it up a bit.

As to the frequency there are many schools of thought some people do it once a week others once a year and some in between that. Im about every two months or so.

As to the time it takes to defrag is this, Ive had computers take 8-12 hrs to defrag, it all depends on hard drive speed, how bad it is fragmented, cpu speed, etc. So there are alot of variables but I wouldnt be too concerned with the time.

Also I would use a tool like CCleaner to clean up temporary files and registry entries. All that will help.

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks very much jaxisland i know it was a bit of check posting the problem but did'nt want to register with another forum when i can get expert help here, i've down loaded ccleaner will run that tomorrow then do a defrag, once again for your help many thanks

Grahame

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Sounds good, please post back and let me know the results.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Please take a little time to configure CCleaner. They have excellent tutorials. Without proper configuration, you may discover that it has removed something you wanted. For example, I like the cookies I save, and save only those that I need for loggon on here and some other places. So I don't have CCleaner remove my cookies.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'd just like to point out that JkDefrag is an excellent free defrag utility, you can download it from my signature. I find it to be much better than the built-in version within Windows...

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
You might give IObit SmartDefrag a try. It works in the background and keeps the hard drive defraged. You can also set it to do a defrag for when you wish, or do a manual defrag - this is seldom needed. When you do a manual defrag it is faster than the built in defrag. And it's free. They also have a very good forum if you need help. http://www.iobit.com/

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thanks everybody for your kind help, i've saved the sites that you have recomended thanks for them, did'nt have time today to do a defrag but will do it tomorrow and post back the results thanks again

grahame

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
hi all ran ccleaner and done a defrag strait after, i just used windows defrag and it only took three and half hours so running ccleaner first made a big differance from the five to six hours it used to take, i've kept the sites of the programs that was given me , will try a defrag in a couple of months time using one of the programs recormended,
so i would just like to say a big thank you to Jaxisland, 1101doc, FPVDrif6, and matofthemint for the advise i was given.

thanks again grahame10

ps i remembered to take the tick out of the box for the cookies

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Glad our information helped and on behalf of all of us Your Welcome :whistling: