Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cable Modem Drops Connection Periodically

• Please log in to reply

DawgBone

DawgBone

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a BEFCMU10v2 cable modem from Linksys running on Cox Communications. Recently, I've begun to experience connection drop on a recurring basis. Analysis and research indicate it is either the cable modem or the cable provider (Cox) with possible NOISE on the line. The easy fix is to simply unplug the power cable from the modem, wait a min, and then plug the power cord back in to restart the modem. However, this is not fun when you have to do it several times a week (usually at least 1-2 times a day). :whistling:

The modem log shows a bunch of "Ranging - No Response" timeouts prior to the connection dropping. From my research on the net and talking to the Cox technician on the phone, it is either the modem going bad (it is probably 3 years old or older now), or the cable line experiencing periodic NOISE that cause the modem to be unable to communicate with the CMST. My upstream power is at 48.25 dBmV and the downstream power is at -10.71 dBmV.

I also tried pinging a DNS Server at Cox (ping 66.210.130.10 -l 1000 -t) for a few minutes and had (0% loss) with an average of 69ms. However, when I tried ping the same server at 10000K (ping 66.210.130.10 -l 10000 -t), I had (100% loss) and all "Request timed out." responses.

So my question is this - Do I have aproblem with my modem (is it going bad or does it need some kind of firmware upgrade), or do I have an intermittment line problem where NOISE on the cable is causing the modem to drop connection? And based on which problem I have, what do I need to do to remedy (fix) it?

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements