Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP wrong install

• Please log in to reply

Chedda

Chedda

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am helping a friend with reinstalling and starting his computer over from day one. However instead of installing the original startup boot disk that came with his computer, I was going to just install the basic OS without all the other gadgets with it that was not needed. I was meaning to install Windows XP standard edition as his was, but accidentally put in the XP Pro, and there is no right serial number that will work for it, as I have lost the orginal key that came with that CD. So how do I quit installing Pro, and just install the regular reboot disk that came with the laptop, as I am stumped since it only goes back to installation and then wanting a serial number, one that I do not have. Any and all help would be kindly and greatfully appreciated.

Thank you
-Chad-

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One question is what brand is the computer, since they install differently? Some, like Dell, don't need a key if you install from the CD, others do. You may just need to use something like DBAN to erase the old drive since XP Home won't install over Pro.

Chedda

Chedda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It is a HP computer. Will DBAN scan at the moment it starts up and read it rather than go to the install screen?

Overnight I have pulled the plug and battery out to see if it will do anything later, if not I plan to open the back up and look for the little timeclock battery to see if that works.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with HPs...they usually have a recovery partition..i believe you either press f10 or f11 during boot up to get to the recovery utility...this will put the system back the way it came from the factory

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
if you got as far as product key and you forgot it
your probably stuck at setup
did you try pressing F3 to exit setup
or you erase the harddrive using boot and nuke

burn or copy it to cd and put in your cd-rom
it will detect your harddrive and wipe it out zero it

BOOT "N" NUKE

thats if HP recovery dont work

Edited by Mr Freeze, 13 September 2007 - 09:22 AM.

Chedda

Chedda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
To all those who answered me, I want to thank you for taking the time for trying to help me. I have tried all but have failed. Mr. Freeze, thanks, but the F3 did not work, but yet I will try the boot n nuke. Thanks!

Chedda

Chedda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am still having trouble. I have copied the boot n nuke, but when I put it in as it first starts up, or restart it with the cd in there it does nothing and goes straight into install. somehow I got to the dos system and typed dir to get the directory, and then typed, recovery.exe and it came up like it was going to do a self recovery, but it said something about a partition and then escaped and I am now stuck again.