Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Moving special folders, like My Documents

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hello all,
I just got myself a new laptop, wiped vista off, loaded XP. almost everything is perfect, but I've got One very annoying problem.

On all the other systems I've ever worked on, I could change the location of special folders (say my documents, my pictures, my images, my videos) to other folders or even other partitions entirely.

This isnt working on my laptop. I've tried with tune-up utilities, as well as with the registry, the change simply won't stick. Please assist.

Thanks.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Read through this KB Article

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
If you go too internet options you can move folders such as my documents

Edited by Mr Freeze, 13 September 2007 - 11:14 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to open My Computer > tools folder options > view. Click Restore Defaults > Apply > OK

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Let me be more specific. I want to move the special folders to entirely different drives and Names.

To do this, there are 2 methods I'm aware of. the first, going in the registry and changing all of that by hand. The second, but ends up doing the same, is to use an application like TuneUp Utilities 2007, which I have, and try, and with either method, its like the changes get undone upon the next logon.

Is there anything that would cause the system to revert back its special folders like this? My desktop never exhibited this behaviour...

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
OK, just to be sure, here is Gizmo Richard's tutorial: http://www.techsuppo...y_documents.htm
I have had no problem with my folder staying on my K:\ drive after following his instructions.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
This trick has worked for the my documents.
however, when I moved it to E:\Files
the other special folders, such as my pictures, my music, moved with.

I wanted to move these as well. so I deleted them out of E:\Files

now the 2 hot-folders are gone from my system, even tuneup utilities cant pick it up anymore. the only solution is to create a new my music and my pictures, and from there I cant move them anymore.

This is getting me nowhere, I need another solution than microsoft's way of doing things. This laptop isnt acting normally and I want to know why. Thanks.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Perhaps you have somehow affected the current user account. I would try migrating to a newly created account with Admin rights and starting fresh. KB article explains: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I'm sorry, this isnt working either. The new account exhibits the Exact same behaviour as my other account. I cant move anything with tuneUp utilities, and doing it manually leads to the same results.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Phooey! If you "Restore Defaults," does everything come back home?

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
in tune-up you mean?

edit: there Is no restore defaults in tune-up.

you'll have to be more specific

Edited by Vaillant, 15 September 2007 - 09:15 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
No. Like skeptic's post- #4.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Nah, that doesnt do it, it only resets the view options like hidden files and such. Doesn't affect the special folders at all.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Getting a little confused. What is the current situation. Where are the "hot" folders? Do they all exist?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
hmm ok sorry for the confusion
i use the terms "hot folder" and "special folder" interchangably, bad habit. I mean the folders like My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, etc

these folders are entities within the operating system that I had believed to be hardcoded impossible to delete off XP. in my account, I have deleted both the my pics and my music.

All I want to do , is move the special folders! my documents to become E:\Files, my pictures to be E:\Pics, and my music to be E:\Music

but I cannot, for the life of me, accomplish this task. I've never encountered so much trouble doing this before. It all went seemlessly.