Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems renewing IP address

• Please log in to reply

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
This problem usually manifests itself when I am using the computer from Stand-by, but does occassionally happen even when booting from off.

The network icon in the System Tray has a little animated bullet, if I right-click this icon and select Status, I get the following message:

Windows is taking the following action:

Renewing your IP address

After a little while, I get the following message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed.

Renewing your IP address

This is very annoying - anyone know any work-arounds?

Regards

Dave B - Linuxwannabee :whistling:

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
First I would go into the properties of the network connection and make sure the network card does not have any power settings. If it does, disable them.

Where are you getting your IP from, does that have a problem?

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:whistling: Hi and sorry for not giving enough info last time:

I am using a Zircom 10/100 ethernet card that plugs into the side of my laptop (pc card bus).

I've checked the network properties and cannot see any settings relating to power saving.

I use a cross-over ethernet cable to plug into the back of a wireless router (BT 2WIRE).

I'm using MS Win XP service pack 2.

Hope that helps some!

Dave B - Linuxwannabee :blink: