Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I am looking to buy a computer for home. The only things we really use it for are gen. web browsing, digital pictures, digital scrapbooking, and we are hoping to start transfering our digital camcorder to DVD. I have been looking at the Dell Outlet as we are on a pretty strict budget. What minimums should I look for as far as processors and RAM. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there yoursangoma.

Are you looking to purchase one outright (like from Dell) or build one yourself? Either way, we can give you a heads-up on what to look out for...

A processor, the minimum you want these days is an Intel Core 2 Duo or an AMD Athlon X2. I currently recommend the Intel as they are much better at the moment. Try looking for an E6750, this is the sweet-spot about now.

RAM - you would want 2GB, it runs pretty much everything nicely these days. You should be looking at quality brand-names as they generally give better performance, last longer, and have a lifetime warranty. If you buy a Dell machine, usually they give the "value" series. Just make sure you get 667MHz minimum speed, preferably 800MHz.

Don't forget there's plenty else to look out for as well - make sure you get a SATA2 (3.0GB/s) hard drive. Make sure it comes with a DVD Burner, they are cheap and it's definitely the minimum these days. What OS are you going to use - Vista?

Also don't forget to factor in the upgradeability of the computer, like is it going to be able to be upgraded in two years time to give it a boost? Or will it be too old-technology to upgrade any further?

Cheers :whistling:

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I am looking to buy a refurbed from the dell outlet store, with the whole budget thing. They don't have XP available on that site so I guess I have to go with Vista. Most of the outlet computers have the AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core - 2300. Is that what you are talking about? Any thing else I should be looking out for?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That processor speed is a little slow, make sure it's an X2 version. Can you post some links to where you are looking?

I personally would avoid refurbished products, I just wonder what went wrong with it in the first place? Nonetheless, if it comes with a decent warranty and you're getting it for a good price...

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
This is where I am looking. http://outlet.us.del...t...;l=en&s=dfh

They come with a one year warranty. I purchased my last one from them about 3-4 years ago and haven't had too many problems other than the speed.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://outlet.us.del...t...;l=en&s=dfh

This one looks alright, although I'm sure there are more there that would suit your needs. What's your budget?

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Unfortunately, the link does not work. It shows many results. Maybe you can copy and paste the computer description for me. My budget is around $400 - $500. Like I said, somewhat strict.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You're right, it didn't work - sorry! I should have checked! Here's the one I found:

Dimension C521
(System Identifier: 0106XC8F)

* Dimension C521 Desktop: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ (2.6 GHz)
* Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

System Price : $499.00

Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
Memory 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Video 128MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1300 HyperMemory
Modem V.90/56K PCI DataFax Modem
Certified Refurbished
Base Dimension C521 Desktop: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ (2.6 GHz)
Media Bay 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
Software Upgrade
Corel Paint Shop Pro XI - Trial Version
Microsoft Works 8.5
Hardware Upgrade
13 in 1 Media Card Reader
Dell A225 Speakers
USB Keyboard
USB 2 Button Mouse

yoursangoma

yoursangoma

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
This is one that I have found that looks good. I think I will purchase it. Let me know if you see any reason why I shouldn't.

1 Inspiron Desktop 531 Mini-tower: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400+ (2.30GHZ)
1 Certified Refurbished
1 No Speakers
1 No Modem Option
1 Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
1 Service Software
1 Operating System Label
1 Processor Label
1 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
1 Software CD
1 AOL Software Documentation
1 AOL ISP Software
1 Shipping Material
1 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 677MHz (2 DIMMs)
1 Dell Support Software 1.0
1 Support Software
1 ISP Search Assist
1 Microsoft Works 8.5
1 Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Reader
1 320 GB EIDE SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
1 Resource DVD
1 Reference Guide
1 Operating System DVD
1 Bluetooth Keyboard and Optical Mouse
1 Roxio Creator LE
1 Image Restore Software
1 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes that does look alright, the processor speed is a little on the slower side, but it should be fine. :)