Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics upgrade

• Please log in to reply

hydrocarb

hydrocarb

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have an HP Pavillion a1742n-b computer with AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core processors and an intigrated nvidia GeForce 6150LE graphics card
I have upgraded the memory to 3 gig (from 1 gig)
I want to upgrade the graphics - I have an open pci-express slot.
I am looking at an EVGA GeForce 8600 GTS with 512MB GDDR3 memory
and an nvidia GeForce 8600Gt with 512MB DDR2 memory
The EVGA is a better Card with dual DVI and HDTV enabled but I am wondering if the GDDR3 memory would conflict with the intigrated 6150LE graphics which uses DDR2 memory. Or would they even be working at the same time ???
Any info about piggybacking on an integrated board would be helpful too.
H

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi hydrocarb!

If your motherboard has an open PCI-Express slot, then when you install a new card into it, you turn the integrated graphics off in the BIOS, so it won't conflict.

Of the two you have chosen, the EVGA is the better choice because it has GDDR3 and it is the GTS, so it would have higher clock speeds.

The question now becomes: What power supply are you using? You'll need to give us some information on it, as you may need to upgrade the power supply to make sure the new card gets enough juice. If you open the case, you should see a sticker on the side of the power supply with information on how many watts total, how many amps on each rail etc... See if you can get us that information.

hydrocarb

hydrocarb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thanks for the quick reply. I can't get to it right now but will be checking the power supply as well.
The requirements for the EVGA is for an pci express compliant 375 watts P/S, and with that, about what should I be looking for as to total wattage?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 22 Amp Amps.)

From the EVGA website specs, this is for the 512MB non-superclocked version. Therefore you would need to make sure you had more than 22A on the 12v rail, and I would suggest a 500-550w psu.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130286

Here's the link to the newegg card, have a look at some of the combo deals and see if they appeal to you.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The 8600 is NOT good for gaming AT ALL. Yes it has DirectX 10 but does not have enough power to play a DirectX 10 game. The 8800GTS 320MB is more expensive but it is powerful enough to play DirectX 10 games. Also the 8800GTS gives you more bang for your buck.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I highly recommend a high end DX9 card over a low end DX10 card, also a video cards memory will not conflict with your systems RAM regardless of which type.
James

Edited by james_8970, 13 September 2007 - 08:01 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

I highly recommend a high end DX9 card over a low end DX9 card, also a video cards memory will not conflict with your systems RAM regardless of which type.
James

Took me a while to figure out what you meant to say. Yeah if you can't afford the 8800GTS 320MB then I would go with a DirectX 9 card rather then a 8600.
You can get better performance then the 8600 with these DirectX 9 cards that I recommend: Radeon X1950 PRO or GeForce 7900 GS for around $125 and Radeon X1950 XT for around $200.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, better correct that to avoid confusion.
James