Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dell Computer Question

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I read AFTER I bought my very first computer from Dell. That you can't build on a Dell Computer! I want to put more memory on it! I don't really care to get Vista (YET)! Oh another question, is it true that Vista sucks? :whistling:

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there hdbabe, welcome to Geeks to Go!

A quick and easy way for you to check the memory upgrade options for your computer is to run a scan with the Crucial web scanner. It will scan your system and give you an answer - how to upgrade your system. It will also offer to sell you Crucial-brand memory sticks. Crucial is an excellent brand, and worth your consideration. Click on this link and select the "Scan my System" button. Then you can post back the results here and we can help you work out the best upgrade option for you.

As far as I'm concerned, Vista is very good. I don't personally have it yet, but this is purely for the financial upgrade price. A few of my friends have it, and many forum members here too, and they report it very good. I suppose you could only say it's not-so-good in the sense that you have to pay for it!

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Dells are hard to upgrade but are not impossible. The only things that are difficult are the power supplies and hard drives. Their power supplies are not the usual size as traditional ones online so it is hard to upgrade it. RAM you can upgrade as easy as any other computer. The hard drive is sometimes a little hard to get to but it is possible.

As for Vista, it is great. The Basic version is not as good as the Premium version because it a lot of the cool features are missing but it is still better then any XP version. Vista is WAY more secure against viruses and other crap so it is a definite plus. And you need it to run DirectX 10. There are some applications that have trouble, like any new OS that comes out, but a lot of it has been fixed. Also the new SP1 for Vista will reduce that number to an even smaller number and it will have a greater performance boost. A lot of the bad things about the OS that people say are from people who did not give it a chance to see all of the amazing new features it has and form apple fan-boys.

Edited by jackflash1991, 13 September 2007 - 08:55 AM.