Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with boot-up

• Please log in to reply

getRand0m

getRand0m

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi! i've had my malware fixed and verified clean in the malware forum, but i have some issues with windows that persist and so was pointed to this section.

1. when windows loads up and i click on my name to log on, i get the following:

c++ runtime error
assertion failed!
program: c:windows/system32/mpnotify.exe
file: /pnsson.cpp
expression: SUCCEEDED(hr)
[something about JIT must be enabled]
[buttons for choices] abort, retry, fail

i press retry each time and logging on is successful and everything within windows appears normal, but it remains worrisome that something is going on behind my back or corrupted in some way. what could be causing this to happen?

2. another thing that happens is when i attempt to boot into safe mode, the black dos screen shows all the parts that are starting, but after gagp30.kx a message comes up to press escape to skip sptd. whether or not i press escape at this time, the boot-up stalls and i must manually power off. i thought safe mode was safe and protective, how can it have gotten messed up?

3. one more thing, not a problem but irksome, is that when accessing hotmail, i am forced to turn off all cookie blocking. since the malware infection i've chosen to prompt for all cookies, but afaik, medium default level always used to allow me to access hotmail, but now medium or even low level brings up a message from msn that cookies need be reenabled, and only on allow all can i get in to view my email. is this normal?

sorry if this is a lot to ask all at once, but i can be patient in sorting out each one. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

-getRand0m

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Have you tried running chkdsk

Start/run/chkdsk/click ok

Or start/run /sfc /scannow click ok
you need operating cd or windows disc

Do you just have windows xp and can you run a full non-destructive repair

getRand0m

getRand0m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
mr. freeze:

i have let disk checking run on startup recently, when it comes up "one or more of your disks needs to be checked for consistency". nothing doing there. not sure if that's the same as chkdsk, but if it is similar, i don't feel like running it right now because it takes a couple hours. i will run it when i go to bed maybe. thanks for the suggestion.

i have a laptop preloaded with windows and i don't think i have a disc for it. and i don't know precisely what "full non-destructive repair" is, please explain.

thanks.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
rather than repairing from recovery console or running a chkdsk /r
you use your windows xp cd
after copying files are done and you have the option for the recovery consolebut instead you choose the option of installing windows
in that section you have three options

Repair

---and this what i mean by full non destructive repair

the others are reinstall windows
and F3 exit set-up.......

you can choose Repair
or Exit...F3

If you choose repair you will need your product key
while its repairing you wont lose any files or data
but you will have to run windows update
thats the only thing you will lose
ive done a few times with windows home xp
and few times with windows home xp pro

getRand0m

getRand0m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
guess i'd have to see it to understand, and as far as i can remember i have no windows cd. it's not affecting my using the computer, so i guess i'll just ignore it...

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
if your ok with it ......

getRand0m

getRand0m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
well i still don't understand what you're talking about, and i don't have a cd, and "reinstall windows" sounds scary, so what else can i do?

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
you dont have your windows cd....im not asking you to reinstall windows
but to do a full repair thats where the windows cd would be good to have

getRand0m

getRand0m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok i do have cd's, but there are four of them. none of them say windows on them though, they are all from acer and contain the preloaded stuff (obviously including windows). however, it says to use a certain one first and that it WILL format and lose all data on the drive. i have:

disk 1 (bootable) system cd rev 1.0
disk 1 of 3 english (xp home) recovery cd
disk 2 of 3 '' '' '' ''
disk 3 of 3 '' '' '' ''

and it instructs to use system cd first, but the included instructions therewith advises it will format and erase all data. i'm guessing the other three discs are where windows xp files and stuff are actually stored, but it appears i have used the bootable one before (bar code sticker closure broken), but the other three are still intact (unopened). i don't want to screw my stuff up, and i'd rather leave those cd's unopened if possible. do you think it's worth fixing, and with what degree of certainty do you think i could proceed without putting my data in jeopardy? do you think if i boot the already opened (and explicitly named "bootable") cd that i can explore my options therein without committing to full format and recovery? i'm scared.

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
the best thing to do at this point is back up any important data,pictures,files and music
i wont be asking you to use your recovery cds..for the reason it may turn out to be a reformat....something your trying to avoid...ill let you decide and any staff whos capable can help you

other forums dont mind someone help a reformat but geeks is fussy about it

but your problem is a system32 problem it should fixed...microsoft does have hot fixes but they must be exact in order for the fix to work

im used to non-destructive repairs with out recovery console.....
using recovery consoles....... formatting ---reformatting... as well as total disc wipe out using killdisk or boot and nuke

so create back ups....any chance of system 32 going wrong may result disaster for your computer............so i cant be of any more help here sorry