Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mega Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Would the MSI 8800GTS fit in my case? I can't find any information on the physical dimensions of it, and I know it's a huge card...

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The 8800 is about 9-9.5 inches long. Your case looks like it is big enough. I estimate that their will be about an inch gap between the card and the hard drive bay.

Edited by jackflash1991, 22 September 2007 - 06:17 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well I just measured it and it looks like about 11.5 inches from the back of the case to the hard drive bay, so it should fit fine. I'll just have to make sure I move the hard drive out of the way (i.e. lower).

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
And I forgot to add the motherboard in post #26, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3.

EDIT: well I just ordered, it's Sunday, so they won't process everything until tomorrow, and some items were on "Preorder", so it might take a few days for everything to come in, but sweet :)

Edited by FPVDriF6, 22 September 2007 - 08:05 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

EDIT: well I just ordered, it's Sunday, so they

LOL, it is still Saturday here.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
We're faster than you :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Unfortunately, I have had to cancel the order :pepsi:

The accountant deals with everything in my business, and I write out the cheques and he does the lot. Unfortunately, he's so busy this year one of the cheques only got processed yesterday when I wrote it out about a month ago (about $3500), so all of a sudden I just don't have the money to spend anymore. It's my fault, I should have double-checked that the cheques had gone through first, but still...

I am so sad I think I'm going to cry. :)
I'm so mad I think I'm going to smash something. :) :) :) :wave: :P ;)

P.S. I already paid off my car loan, so at least I own that. It does feel good to own my car, now, but still...

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
That sucks, hope everything gets better. At least you have the car.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah, the money I was paying each week for the car loan is now going towards finishing off the credit card, and then I'll start hoarding it for my rig again... We've got used to having to pay it each week, so we might as well keep pretending to "pay the loan requirements" each week, but put it for those things instead.

Well I did cry, but I didn't smash anything - I just stayed up all night and did a lot of moving around inside my case, hard drives and stuff. Then I reformatted (after I did my backups!) and completely reinstalled Windows, just because I felt like it. I feel much better now :)

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Well I did cry, but I didn't smash anything - I just stayed up all night and did a lot of moving around inside my case, hard drives and stuff. Then I reformatted (after I did my backups!) and completely reinstalled Windows, just because I felt like it. I feel much better now laughing.gif

Lol, I am compulsive like that too, everything is better after a fresh install. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 25 September 2007 - 06:38 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) For some reason, Office wouldn't work anymore, so hopefully it will install and work this time - it's next on my list.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well Office 2007 Ultimate works once again (I really like it, by the way). Computer is running absolutely sweet for an old rig. Yes, you're right Jack - at least I own my car now. Even better - we bought a new mobile phone for my wife (or cell-phone), and a digital video camera today, we just had enough for it.

But to the point - I got a letter from the accountant that mentioned a refund of $2000 that the tax office was keeping, so I rang the accountant and he got the tax office to release the funds - so I'm getting $2000 back because they made a mistake. This is all so confusing! So I'm just keeping this thread alive as a possibility that I may be able to get something upgraded - if not the full deal I was going to order. Once I get the money, my wife and I will discuss everything once again (as amounts are different this time) and I'll let you know what I order (or ask more questions!) If I can't get the full 8800GTS DX10 card, anyone want to make some suggestions on a cheaper (less than $300) card? I know we were discussing the HIS X1950Pro before, but they are now completely out of stock, so no go for that one at the moment from Umart. Some other stores I could purchase from:

www.gcco.com.au
www.fscomputers.com.au
www.ftc.com.au

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not sure if there HD2900pro is in stock there, if it is, get is asap as stock will disappear really quickly. It's selling for 280$ in canada, not sure how much i'd be in Australia if you could find it. generally speaking it is better and cheaper then the GTS, however very difficult to find.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If I got it from there, would you post it to me? :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol, I tried to get one, since they exceed the HD2900XT clocks when overclocked (and have 1GB of ram). Only problem is they sold out before I could get my parents credit card. I could preorder, but there are no guarantees that this single canadian company will get another batch, so don't want my money sitting around doing nothing. In the mean time I think I'm just going to brun some money on water cooling. :)
So sorry, no I cannot mail you one :wave:
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 September 2007 - 08:19 AM.