Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mega Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Well back to the accountant tomorrow, hold your breath...

*FPVDriF6 has his fingers crossed again...

*FPVDriF6 also wishes someone would post him a 1GB GDDR4 HD2900 Pro...

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Good luck, I would post you one, but the second I get my hand ones one, it'll be ALL MINE! MY PRECIOUS! :)
Same performance for half the cost, makes me curious whats going on....
James

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

I can post you one if you send me approximately 750 Aus dollars :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I could buy a 1GB GDDR4 HD2900 XT for that much and still have change!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ignore :)

Edited by james_8970, 04 October 2007 - 12:02 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts

Ignore :wave:

Can do! :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts
After much bantering between the Tax Office and my accountant, I have $900 to spend (definitely no more than $1000).

So, how's this look?

The only other option would be to downgrade the graphics card and grab the E6750 as well, I would prefer to do this instead of using my current P4 630 again... And I'm not too worried because my Radeon 9550 currently plays Oblivion (the most intense game I have), so anything above this will be sweet. I'm actually not too heavy a gamer, and definitely don't like the looks of heavy DX10 games like Crysis. The graphics look good, but Oblivion is the limit I can take in violence :) Oh and it needs to be able to play Colin McRae: DiRT as well.

Let me know thoughts on the two possibilities...

Again, it's from Umart (Gold Coast), so see what you can find me :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm going to suggest the same to you that I'm suggest to everyone else.You've waited this long I highly recommend you wait a bit longer.
There are going to be a number of graphics cards that will be released between the 29th of october till the 18th of november. While I do not know how early things are released in Australia after they are released in North America (I will assume it's the same) the 8800GT is looking increasing interesting, but everyone is set on a 250$ figure, I think it's going to higher as it seems to perform at the HD2900XT levels. Also the HD2900GT is going to be released, again very limited quantities like the PRO, so get them if you want them, don't hesitate.
Also, ATI is set to release a new mid range line up on the 18th. While you may not want to buy these cards, it will affect and lower the price of the one you have currently selected.
Bare in mind the Nvidia has plans to scrap the 8800GTS soon as it doesn't have the required onboard VRAM to do the high amount of textures required to store after processing in DX10 games.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. Although it likely won't be till later on tonight once I take a break between study periods.
On another note, similar RAM is selling for 50$ is canada right now, why is it so high there?!
Just to be random, the demo for CRYSIS is being released tomorrow, woot woot! :)
James

Edit: Hope this all makes sense I typed it in a hurry, if it doesn't let me know and I will clarify later on tonight (or mid day for you?).

Edited by james_8970, 25 October 2007 - 07:43 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Also, I don't believe all the iteams are showing in that thumbnail.
Edit: Never mind, couldn't see the motherboard before hand.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 October 2007 - 07:45 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I'm going to suggest the same to you that I'm suggest to everyone else.You've waited this long I highly recommend you wait a bit longer.
There are going to be a number of graphics cards that will be released between the 29th of october till the 18th of november. While I do not know how early things are released in Australia after they are released in North America (I will assume it's the same) the 8800GT is looking increasing interesting, but everyone is set on a 250$ figure, I think it's going to higher as it seems to perform at the HD2900XT levels. Also the HD2900GT is going to be released, again very limited quantities like the PRO, so get them if you want them, don't hesitate.
Also, ATI is set to release a new mid range line up on the 18th. While you may not want to buy these cards, it will affect and lower the price of the one you have currently selected.
Bare in mind the Nvidia has plans to scrap the 8800GTS soon as it doesn't have the required onboard VRAM to do the high amount of textures required to store after processing in DX10 games.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them. Although it likely won't be till later on tonight once I take a break between study periods.
On another note, similar RAM is selling for 50$ is canada right now, why is it so high there?!
Just to be random, the demo for CRYSIS is being released tomorrow, woot woot! :)
James

Edit: Hope this all makes sense I typed it in a hurry, if it doesn't let me know and I will clarify later on tonight (or mid day for you?).

Things usually take a month or two to filter through, that's why I'm not too worried about grabbing what I've ordered now. Considering that this should still give me good upgrades, I will be happy with that.

The HD2900Pro did not make an appearance here at all, so I'm guessing the HD2900GT won't either. There's probably a lot of people in America who missed out on a HD2900Pro that will be grabbing the HD2900GT to make up for it...

Comparable component prices are much higher here than over there, that's just the way the market is for some reason. Unfortunately, we just have to cop it :)

Yes you're being random alright, I said Crysis won't cut it for my likings, but you're allowed to get excited anyway... :)

It's lunch-time, you clarify tonight and I'll have to wait a long time for it... :)

That thumbnail has everything I am intending to order, I have the other components already (as previously discussed in this thread). What am I missing?

Edited by FPVDriF6, 25 October 2007 - 07:51 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'd wait till monday, I mean what do you have to loss? Does it really take a full month for things to get to Australia, after they've been launched in north america and/or europe?
The only thing I can see is don't buy an overclocked card and go for the 640MB version of the GTS instead (should the 8800GT not be released) as it shouldn't be any more then 40-50$ more then an overclocked version of the 320MB card. Also Crysis should run fine on your computer, run the demo tomorrow and find out. It's being released 9am central america time tomorrow. Also, it won't be as optimized for hardware as the retail version will be.
James

Edited by james_8970, 25 October 2007 - 09:01 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I'm actually not too heavy a gamer, and definitely don't like the looks of heavy DX10 games like Crysis. The graphics look good, but Oblivion is the limit I can take in violence :)

Yes you're being random alright, I said Crysis won't cut it for my likings, but you're allowed to get excited anyway... :)

Now you're getting really funny! No Crysis for me! :)

Anyway, I've been thinking about this some more, I would much rather the E6750 as well in the build, which means massaging components around like this:

This graphics card (I'll order the HIS version, of course ;))

And the attached cart, which gives me $902. Then what I'll do, is once I sell my current rig in the trading post, and put that money towards a better graphics card in a few months when things have filtered through from overseas, and prices have adjusted. I should be able to get about $300 - $400 (hopefully) for it, plus I'll start saving a little again.

What do you think of that idea? I don't want to wait any longer! :)

EDIT: p.s. why not buy an overclocked graphics card, especially as the MSI version 8800GTS OC (320MB) is cheaper than the non-OC version... :)

Edited by FPVDriF6, 25 October 2007 - 09:26 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I bought a factory OC card because it was the same price of non-OC. Usually they are not worth the cost but in that situation then why not? Many times the OC versions of the card come with a better cooler than the standard allowing it to go even a bit further.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thanx for reminding me, the Crysis demo just got released :)
[edit]Shoot, I'm not in the right time zone, it's going to be 3a.m. my time. Ekk and I'm working tomorrow!

Exactly what Titan said, in most instances OC version of the cards are a 50$ premium.

I agree with the downgrade of the graphics card for the better processor.

Should be a good build.

James

Edited by james_8970, 26 October 2007 - 08:10 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Alright, I'll give this order a shot and see if I can grab that graphics card :)

Pics and report will follow :)

EDIT: Added cart order pic, I decided to grab Vista as well, and 50 blank DVD's for $15 is a bargain here! Often you'll find a pack of 25 for $20...

And James, how's Crysis going? :)

Edited by FPVDriF6, 28 October 2007 - 04:23 PM.