Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mega Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Alright, I'm starting to have a bit of trouble finding this graphics card available, it doesn't seem to exist anymore...?

Everyone's advertising it, but nobody has it in stock, and then they ring their suppliers and can't get it in either. I've seen two websites take it down already :)

If I could get one, does it matter if it's 256 or 512 MB version? Is the 512 version better?

Any other suggestions if I can't get an X1950 Pro or a 7900GS? For around the $200-$250ish price, of course :) Considering I'm looking for an upgrade to my current Radeon 9550... :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
HD2900GT or 8800GT.
The 8800GT is being released (NDA lifted) tomorrow at 6a.m. PST time. Someone got it out of a owner at the site I buy from.
The 512 version will be better, but only when you play at high resolutions, also the difference is minimal.
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 October 2007 - 08:54 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
These cards do not exist on the Australian market, and my guess is they won't for some time. If they are limited release versions (like the 2900 Pro was), then they most probably will never get here.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They don't exist as the havn't launched yet.
Wait till tomorrow to see if something pops up, like I said, a very reliable source has confirmed that the card will release at 6a.m. tomorrow.
Because your in austrail it'll probably be tuesday.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Should we not, then, be able to preorder? It currently is after lunchtime Monday here, so I'm guessing you mean in Australia by Tuesday your time - meaning probably Wednesday here. I'm still guessing they'll filter through in a month or so, like everything else...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No tuesday your time, I starting to remember about your time differences.
It's currently under NDA, so no you should not be able to preorder it, if you can, Nvdia is going to delay the shipment to that location as a punishment.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Punishment? :)

What have I done now? :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Punishment? :)

What have I done now? :)

You thought about buying a different card. :)
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://wwp.greenwich...a/pacific-time/

Isn't this time passed already? I'm checking Newegg...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No the time hadn't past when you checked.
James

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Here is a link to one of the cards where I buy my electronics.
http://www.ncix.com/...anufacture=ASUS
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 October 2007 - 10:23 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
So how does that help me over here?

I'm still looking for a X1950Pro, as those cards are around the same price as 8800GTS, so they're too expensive. It looks like I'm gonna have to order it from elsewhere and have it posted... :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Guess so, if you want some more tips on cards if you cannot find this one elsewhere in australia let me know.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm looking for a graphics card, $200-250, in Australia, PCI-Express, Must play Oblivion nicely compared to my Radeon 9550, must be available (in stock).

If anyone can recommend any tips, cards, or sites, then please do. I'm really starting to get annoyed at the unavailability of stock here. I drove all around the coast yesterday (took a day off work) to find that no shop can even order in an X1950 Pro. If I have to get it posted, then I will.

I'm almost tempted to grab a 2600XT, I'm thinking that at least a) they're in stock; b) cheap; c) it would be an upgrade over the 9550...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
:) Okay well it's available but it's mighty expensive, another $100 over my budget :)

What brand is better: Leadtek, Galaxy, or Gainward? I'm leaning toward the Gainward, it's cheaper but I'm pretty sure they're a decent manufacturer...

And Inno3D is available, but they're just cheapies, can someone confirm this is not a good option? Or shall I take?