Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mega Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What is availble the x1950pro?
Gainward is a popular europen brand, not really familiar any of them as I'm in the North American market :)
:) This is on page 6 now.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 October 2007 - 08:25 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
http://www.auspcmark...ducts.php?input[category_id]=1588

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Try this link, it doesn't work in full

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
C'mon, I've been refreshing for 10 minutes! :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Patience is a virtue :)
Had to pick up my brother from work :)
The 8800GT is a significantly better card and I think you will be really happy with your purchase, it performs between the GTS and the GTX, and for the price, it's a steal.
Best of all, power consumption is down meaning you lower electricity bills to pay and the HD decoding is much better with this card.
:)

The only two brands that I have heard of is, Gigabyte and Gainward. If I were you, I'd do a little research into the warrenty policies, the extra 20$ may be worth it, since it would save you down the road :)
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I ordered the Gainward. My wife's going to kill me :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I ordered the Gainward. My wife's going to kill me :)

Ssssshhhhh, don't say a word. :)
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, I got all the parts, just waiting on the graphics card which is being posted, hopefully I'll have it by next week (Monday or Tuesday). Here's the lowdown:

For the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard, I have revision 1.0 I think James said it's luck of the draw, so any pointers I need to remember for this one? Any bugs or ???? And the Northbridge heatsink is nice and huge!

I have GeIL RAM, which is rated at 2.1V So when I get everything installed, what do I do to get the RAM voltage correct? Does this mean that when I have set the RAM at 2.1V, it will automatically adjust itself to 800MHz and 4-4-4-12 timings?

The E6750 processor fan seems to have thermal paste on it already, does this happen from the factory? I was worried about using the right amount of paste, but it looks like it's been done for me :) Does that sound right?

The Antec TP3-650 looks like it could power a house :)

And Vista Home Premium 32-bit, I was wrong about my printer drivers being available for 64-bit. That was the only deciding factor, and I think 64-bit would have given me better performance... Oh well... :)

Bring on the 8800GT by Gainward :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The CPU paste on the CPU is fine, it's actually one of the better pastes, though it can only be used once.

You'll need to enter BIOS to adjust the volages and possibly timing, it's weird to do on gigabyte boards. Once you enter BIOS, press CTRL + F1, then enter the MIT area of the BIOS. If you don't press CTRL + F1, you won't see the options for your memory. Since the default voltage is 1.8V you'll want to up your voltage exactly +.03V, you might be able to do less with stress testing and trail and error, thats up to you.

As far as I know, none of the gigabyte boards really had any issues to speak of, many of them had an updated North bridge cooler and the removed various things on the back plate to make room for more USB plugs, thoughs are the main changes that I know of, nothing serious.

64-bit wouldn't have really given any more performance as you don't have alot of RAM, it'd really be more of a head ache then anything.

James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Will I need to flash the BIOS immediately? I'm hoping it recognises my E6750 straight out of the box, otherwise I'm going to have to use my P4 630 to do the flash, I don't want to have to stuff around with that... :)

And I've posted pictures on Facebook, I signed up so I could put pictures online. Anyone know how to link to it? I've tried once and it says I have to sign in to see them... :)

So, once everything is working, I enter the BIOS and up the voltage to 2.1V - shall I then run Memtest86 on it or something? Even just for 10 minutes to see if it's not bad RAM or something?

And I was reading through the manual this morning, it seems like there's two "sections" of SATAII ports, which ones should I use to plug in my hard drives?

Thanks for your help :)

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

And I've posted pictures on Facebook, I signed up so I could put pictures online. Anyone know how to link to it? I've tried once and it says I have to sign in to see them... :)

Yeah I tried it and I was not able to link to it unless I sign in. I'm thinking that only Facebook users can view them (only if you set the privacy to let everyone see your photos) or only users you've added as friends can view them.

Edited by kamille316, 01 November 2007 - 02:51 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah facebook won't work, use photobucket or something similar, though you can post images on this forum.
Any board with the P35 chipset should reconize the new Core2duo processors right out of the box.
I do recommend flashing the BIOS ASAP, once you get the motherboard running properly, a few stability issues are fixed (some involving memory) and it also give you the option of having a 1:1 FSB: DRAM multiplier.

As for running mem test, I always suggest it after getting a new build to make sure everything is in order.
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

As for the SATA ports, there are 2 SATA ports that are a different color from the rest, my understanding is that these are if you plan on running RAID. As the RAID controler only supports these two ports, I could be wrong, I havn't read the manual that much in depth, I never do unless I have problems. :)

James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What is the 1:1 FSB:DRAM multiplier, and do I want it? Does this give me better performance :) Is it classed as "overclocking"?

I'm going to work through the motherboard manual when I set everything up, it's actually very indepth (I've read the whole thing once alread :)) and has quite a few options that are defaulted on "disabled" or "enabled" when I'm going to want them the other way around...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's your Ram's multiplier.
Basically it the same as the multiplier for your CPU, however on gigabyte boards it appears as it's real value. In this case, the 1:1 ratio equals a 2x multiplier. On gigabyte boards, 2x will be displayed.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Multiplying what by what? Maybe you could give me some links to read, I'm not too knowledgable about that... It doesn't make any sense to me :)