Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mega Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
They redesigned the package to make it idiot proof, and avoid the pin bending problems of the past. If I recall correctly, the motherboard doesn't have pins like you'd think of from previous CPU packages, but bent springs that push against the CPU contact pads. The "crunching" is just these springs seating against against the CPU contact pads.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

On another note, you better be buying Crysis now that you have a rig

I'm not buying Crysis, I don't know how many times I've mentioned in this thread alone - I'm not into FPS much at all, I don't enjoy violence. I have said somewhere that I'll download the demo just to check out the graphics, but I won't be playing it!

NO CRYSIS!

:)

I like car racing games - Colin McRae: DiRT for me! May it live forever!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Heh, and I titled myself "Hardware Wizard"

:)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts

They redesigned the package to make it idiot proof, and avoid the pin bending problems of the past. If I recall correctly, the motherboard doesn't have pins like you'd think of from previous CPU packages, but bent springs that push against the CPU contact pads. The "crunching" is just these springs seating against against the CPU contact pads.

Go for it, you'll be fine.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, this makes sense (Springs seating against the CPU contact pads), although I didn't hear a crunch when I did it. I was extra careful, and I have hearing loss... Either way, it's all good now, I have the CPU and the heatsink/fan installed, I put the RAM in, and I installed the motherboard into the case (being very careful with standoffs!).

So now I just got back after being out for maybe 15-20 minutes, and had a note from the couriers on the front door! I could be pretty much booting up now, but I have to wait until after 5pm and then go pick it up myself :)

Oh well :) And I'm grabbing a new Seagate 250GB as well, I figured a new build might as well use a new hard drive.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This has got to be the nicest, most quietest system I've ever had :)

I'm about to load some games, see how I go... My Experience Index gives me 5.9 for all except the processor, 5.6 so I think I'll have to overclock :)

And I haven't changed a thing, it automatically set my RAM running at 800MHz and everything is reported correctly in the BIOS - just how I like it :)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Congrats :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

This has got to be the nicest, most quietest system I've ever had :)

Wait for the dust to build up, it won't be quite as quite :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 November 2007 - 03:46 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'll clean it! Heh heh.

But this case is pretty nice, the whole front panel is filtered mesh, so it should run nice and cool, and stay reasonable clean as it's filtered.

The first thing that freaked me out when I pressed the power button was the Intel HSF, it spun once and then stopped. I quickly turned it off and double checked all connections... Then I thought "Oh, Core 2 Duo, less power, cooler, maybe the fan only runs when it needs to..." so I turned it on and watched the temperatures in the BIOS for a few minutes, it was sitting on 19C, so it wasn't a problem. It stops and starts when it needs to, very interesting...

But I'm a bit unsure about my graphics temperatures, I was installing all the drivers and everything last night, and the Gainward comes with a program called EXPERTool, which gives me many options. Sitting on idle, it reports the card running on 55C, is that too hot? When I start gaming with it, how much higher will that go? How can I check it?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It's a single slot cooler, so it will typically be a bit warmer as the cooler isn't as efficiant as a dual slot cooler. This card get to around 92*C on load. :) Your fine.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 November 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I read that this card is built on the G92 processor, which is a smaller die? This means it should be able to run cooler and more efficient? That's why they've put a single-slot cooler on them... Okay so up to the low-90's is fine... I'll put my kettle on :)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes, but the fact that it's on a single slot cooler makes it seem hotter due to the fact that the fan is less efficient at it's job.
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, so how do I check the in-game temps? Is there something that can tell me what the highest temperature was? I'm not clued up about Nvidia cards at all, by the way. I installed something called "Forceware" which is the drivers from Nvidia website, I think. That, and EXPERTool, as already mentioned, a utility that came with the card.

How's that, eh? An ATI fanboy with an Nvidia graphics card - oh the shame :) But it's a very nice card, can't complain :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I suggest speedfan :)
You can use the program to create a graph and log temperatures of your graphics card.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
In order to decrease temps on the 8800gt, you can use nTune (or possibly ExpertTool) to increase the fan speed on the card. But it is designed to run up to 150C (I think) before thermal throttling sets in, so you should be fine.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, EXPERTool has fan speed options, one for 2D and one for 3D. The 2D option is set for 60% and the 3D option is set at 100%.

I'm going to try some gaming later (now that I've installed Speedfan) and report back the highest temperatures. If it gets a little high, I think I'll grab a 120mm fan for the front of the case as well, because that would be blowing straight onto the graphics card to help it.

I have to go back to work now :)