Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Download won't start

• Please log in to reply

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This might be a dumb question, but after un-installing/removing IM, did you also remove all traces by removing the Icons, Program links that are under Start>All Programs>IncrediMail including any IncrediMail Icons in Quick Launch, Desktop and anywhere else you may have them located.

Also, are you running any security software like Norton, McAfee, etc. or a firewall other then Windows? Trying to get a handle on this and was thinking if you saved IM to Desktop, then booted into Safe Mode to install it. Or, if you can enter Safe Mode with Networking to do all of the un-installing, running CCleaner, downloading/installing IM, and it works afterwards, it may mean there was a conflict somewhere with everything that gets loaded in normal boot up.

You are not the only one that has had this problem and I am surprised the VIP Help service hasn't responded properly. I would keep after them listing the original error report you received the first time. I have a problem with the Spell Checker after clicking Send and cancelling it. It is a Registry Key problem I'm trying to track down to change the value.

Post back on the results if you can go through all this again in Safe Mode.

Ron

Advertisements

DottyJ

DottyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi Ron, When I uninstalled I went to all the place you mention and removed all traces of IM. I have tried safe mode, but it was already installed. This time I will download it to the desktop and then try to install in safe mode. I have McAfee Site Advisor, and Avast! running. I also have registry Mechanic, spyware doctor, spybot - search & destroy. these are not running but I try to run them once a week. I have had IncrediMail for over 9 years and have never had a problem with it. I have also had the other same program. I will try the safe mode install and let you know if it works. As for as IM tech...they do get back to me but everything they tell me to do doesn't work. They usually don't tell me what to do they just say click here to resolve the problem, which I do but it doesn't work. Later...Thanks

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Safe Mode should not load your anti-virus programs (probably wrong on this), but if they do load, turn them off before doing everything. The IM tech's in the past did the same with me. Requested screen captures, which I sent, and never did get a problem resolved except one time.

Ron

DottyJ

DottyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Just finished the safe mode install. It did not work. Anti- virus protection, firewall and spyware was turned off. I don't know if this matters any, but I looked on my son's computer. (right click the IM icon, properties, general tab. all of his are marked read-only and mine all say archive.) Guess after this much trouble I'm grabbing at anyhting. Just doesn't make sense. Next :)

DottyJ

DottyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ron, I was just going back over all the replies and this one from Johanna stuck....If you open "My Computer" then look on your "C" drive and in a folder named "Programs", do you see the "exe" file? (It's odd that it is listed under "bin".) We need to determine the location of that "exe" file and make the shortcut path matches. Johanna
What does she mean about the "exe file and make the shortcut path match"?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That's why I asked that you remove all Icons dealing with IM so that any added during install will have the correct path to the executable file. As I stated the correct path above which matches what you gave earlier, the .exe file is in the bin folder.

C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe

Any time you wish to make sure file path is correct from an Icon, right-click on Icon, choose Properties and the Highlighted portion should be the right path. You can click the "Find Target..." button to open the folder where it shows the path to be. Sometimes these don't match, but Windows will usually bring up a Dialog box that shows it is searching for file or closest matching one. Plus, you have the Option to help find the correct path if you know it.

To change properties for archiving, indexing, compression, or encryption on NTFS drives, right-click the file or folder, click Properties, click Advanced, and then select the options you want to change.

Ron

DottyJ

DottyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Major Payne, Hi Ron Just wanted to let you know that I have everything back and running. The IncrediMail Tech finally sent me the correct fix so I was able to get the IncrediMail program up and running. I have lost everything in the process of trying to fix but at least it is back.

Thank you so very much for all you time and patients that you gave me. Thanks to Johanna also. I know where to come and who to seek out the next time trouble comes along. Again Thanks a bunch. God bless

Dotty

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Great. Nice to hear problem is solved. Would you please post solution here so those who may have same problem will not have to go through what you did to get solution? Maybe just a copy/paste of solution will do.

Ron

DottyJ

DottyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I would do that but it is just a link they sent to me. I tried to copy and paste but the link does not show up. Let me know if there is another way and I will be happy to do so. I think it has something to do with me being a paid subscriber. I will say this, to anyone that send for direct help from IncrediMail make it very clear what you need. Let them know "I don't need this and don't need that...."etc. As soon as I spelled it out and not in a very nice Christian way I might add I got my link to fix the problem. No bad words, don't go that way...Just be to the point.
Thanks for all your help. Let me know if you have any ideas about posting the fix.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping that it would send you to an IncrediMail page on the web with the information and you could copy/paste the URL of that page.

Solved my problem in the mean time as I had to make a Registry change for how Spell Checker functioned.

Ron

Advertisements

OurLovableLabs.com

OurLovableLabs.com

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am so frustrated. Today my computer froze up. I had to shut it down, then when I turned it on, my Incredimail would not load i keep getting that dumb request to send or not send a report. I did send them the report--twice. But that stupid message keeps puppin up--over and over and over and won't stop! I keep clicking don't send, but it's not having it! It's very annoying, BUT seriously that is the least of my problems. I NEED the Incredimail to open up, as I have hundreds of my business contacts and emails stored in folders within it. It is urgent that I get this working, but it won't. I have emailed their tech support, of course no response as of now. But this is so important and urgent that I really cannot wait. I have re-downloaded the program five times, and restarted it as many times, still nothing. At first when I try to load it, it says I need to restart my system, which as I said I have done at least 5 times. I even tried to do a system restore going back several days, still nothing!!! Please help!!! I am desperate. Lisa